Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Black Eagle' x 'Giant Wings'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, a more horizontal petal is generally a longer total flower length and that is something judges go by, no?

I'm asking cause I honestly don't know.

When it comes to size, I would place more importance on the width of the sepals. Large sepals give the flower a much more imposing look. A big NS with small sepals looks so unbalanced, especially when the petals are very horizontal.

If the ends of the petals had been straight in the natural angle of the petal, it would be perfect in my book, and I wouldn't ask for more to be perfectly satisfied! 🤗

I actually really like the way the petals sweep up at the ends. Like the wing tips of a soaring eagle lifting in the updraft. It often happens with the roths I have flowered. I don't know if it is considered a flaw, but I find it ascetically pleasing. :) Increases the NS as well.

When it comes to size, I would place more importance on the width of the sepals. Large sepals give the flower a much more imposing look.
And the width of its sepals are imposing, indeed!
I actually really like the way the petals sweep up at the ends. Like the wing tips of a soaring eagle lifting in the updraft ...... I don't know if it is considered a flaw....
Neither do I...I just pointed out, what might be considered 'room for development' for my taste....I hope, though, that I clearly stated, that I find it a fabulous flower - and I would count myself a very happy man, had it been in my collection!

..... the horizontal petal .... is the trademark for this species.
...... yes! It is indeed the trademark of the species.
If you take a look at pictures of Roths from the natural habitat (Mt. Kinnabalu), I think, this is a rather debatable position regarding the species per se!
What is indisputable, though, is that horizontal petals are, indeed, the  trademark of linebreeding! 😁

The span of the longest leaves is about 45 cm, so I wouldn't call it compact.
gosh! I would call it super compact...45cm is about 15.75 inches(for Americans here)...I have never seen one that compact. LS is measured tip to tip of a set(two) leaves.
My "Borneo" x selfing clone has LS of 22 inches. The Borneo clone is known for its compactness.

If you take a look at pictures of Roths from the natural habitat (Mt. Kinnabalu), I think, this is a rather debatable position regarding the species per se!
What is indisputable, though, is that horizontal petals are, indeed, the  trademark of linebreeding! 😁
Not necessary is the result of linebreeding, Jen. My books also show some wild roths with more or less horizontal petals. There is always an angle but some have less angle. Which one do you like better? That is a personal taste question.
If it will make you feel more comfortable, I would call it widely stretching petals.

gosh! I would call it super compact...45cm is about 15.75 inches(for Americans here)...I have never seen one that compact. LS is measured tip to tip of a set(two) leaves.
My "Borneo" x selfing clone has LS of 22 inches. The Borneo clone is known for its compactness.

That is the length of one leaf. :) So double it. This plant is one of the bigger roths I have flowered, although not massive. But it is a seedling, so I expect it will only get bigger from here.

45 cm is slightly less than 18in.
I assumed that was the length of an individual leaf. It's still compact, hah!

45 cm is slightly less than 18in.
I assumed that was the length of an individual leaf. It's still compact, hah!
you are correct. I must have typed in 40cm to convert to inches.

Congratulations on blooming such a magnificent roth! You must be so excited, it’s only going to get better as the plant matures. Great dorsal, wonderful symmetry with the synsepal, nice wide petals and bold color, it checks all the boxes! What is the petal width, by-the-way?

Congratulations on blooming such a magnificent roth! You must be so excited, it’s only going to get better as the plant matures. Great dorsal, wonderful symmetry with the synsepal, nice wide petals and bold color, it checks all the boxes! What is the petal width, by-the-way?

Thanks. Very excited to say the least. Not sure if I am measuring it right. The petal width is about 1.6 cm wide.

Latest posts

Back