Paph. vietnamense and 3D

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible! Do I need to get another new camera or can I accomplish something close to that with my Canon SX100 IS 8mpx? Where can I learn this technique?

Hey Lorax, that painting looks great! Parishii is one of my favorite species, too... I'm glad she chose that one, I can't wait to see the finished painting :)

The 3D process doesn't require a special camera, it's just a matter of using a Flash script to control about 30+ still photos. I actually just put my plant on my office chair (which swivels) and then take a photo and then turn a bit, and take another. It's not the most precise method, but it works for me, for now. Once I have the photos, I arrange them with the Flash script and thats about it.

- Matt

Thank-you gore42, I'll share your comments with her about her first day start to your plant. I don't know if I mentioned this or not but once she receives her grade on the watercolor, it was her intent to give it to you. So far, her watercolors have actually been pretty darn good but we all know what can happen when a person tries too hard or owns 12 indoor only cats.

Got to thinking about the swivel office chair. Neat idea. Anyone remember those lazy susan condiment thingies our Moms used to set in the middle of the kitchen table that had napkins, salt & pepper, and butter on them? Wonder if one of those might work too and at least get the plant being photographed up at a level that is a little easier on the back. I bet eBay had them from time to time.

edited for misspelling the word salt and misc. other corrections.

Last edited:
Lorax,

That is a really wonderful thought :) It would be an honor to have her offer me the painting, but I really wouldn't dream of accepting it! Something that she has put so much time and work into should be kept in the family... especially if it's her first. But I definitely would like a good photo of it :)

I am actually in the process of building a more sophisticated swivel device that will allow me to do the 3Ds with precise positioning and more vertical levels. Still have some welding to do... maybe I'll finish it in the Spring.

- Matthew Gore

It's not her first watercolor. Her first watercolor was of my Dad's concrete birdbath. She did a good job and I think she may have stopped over at his house and given it to him already. Her second watercolor was of an 1800's barn and she did a great job on that and has already given it to the people she met who actually own the barn. After those two paintings, she's been focusing on natural items. I've got my eye on her oak leaves and acorns and if she doesn't give it to me, I will appropriate it for myself.

My girlfriend and her husband have no children. They got their fill of ours and decided it was a good thing they didn't want any. Just kidding. Anyway, she has one sister (never married and no children) somewhere out on the west coast who is on the road a lot- part of a Harley group and parents in their mid 90's down in Florida who don't want anything else and pass things to her to take OUT of their house every single time she goes down to visit. I think they are in the elimination phase. I guess what I am saying is that I am glad you are honored she did this for you because there really is no family to keep this in. That particular orchid painting is yours. It was her intent before she even started painting it, and still is her intent, to give it to. Take it please, she loved your photographs and so did I.

Update on progress-

Aprilswatercolor.jpg

Thank you for your encouraging words. She's very pleased with the painting so far and is going to work on it more this weekend.

Latest posts

Back