Paph. vietnamense and 3D

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

I wanted to give it a bit of time to open all the way, and I think that it is finished... it's been a week or more. It's a gorgeous bloom, though probably not awardable. I wish that I hadn't had to stake it.

paph-vietnamense1b.jpg

And the 3D can be found here:

http://www.goreorchids.com/SpecPgs/3d-vietnamense/vietnamense-spin.html

This one is a little bigger than some of the others... it's around 1.6 Megs. Partially its because of the larger photos, but its also due to the fact that I used over 60 images in the rotation rather than the 30 or so that I typically use. I may cut some of them out to smooth out the motion a bit, but thought I'd get it out here where people can see it first.

Hope you like it!

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Thanks! :)

Lorax,

The camera actually doesn't have much to do with it.... the photos on this one were taken with a Nikon D80, but virtually all of the others that I've done have been with a Nikon Coolpix 7600 point and shoot. The advantage of the new camera is that the exposure can be set to manual so that I can give it the same exposure from every angle. These are about 60 separate photos strung together with a Flash action script.

- Matt

I already bookmarked the page to your photo. I am going to show it to my MIL and all my friends who come over who garden. They will also appreciate that photo and I bet they've never seen anything like that before either.

The Nikon D80 is a camera I considered purchasing. I opted for the more affordable Canon PowerShot Ssomething IS. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the thing but did just discover it has a built in flash a few days ago. For me, I need a camera with auto focus that is point and click. I will never be able to take the quality of photos you and that SlipperFan and some of the others take but I can still take photos so I'm happy with that.

Do you have any more of those 3D images?

What do you place behind the plants before you photograph them to create that black background?

Every last photo was phenomenal. If you do change the link before tomorrow would you please post a new link?

I wonder why this type of photography is not being used more particularly for the identification of grasses, sedges, and rushes. What an invaluable tool such a photo would be.

I am considering a D80 as well or the Fuji S5 when I upgrade next year.

Thanks for the info, truly an amazing picture. I think I would hang that one on my wall (if the wife would let me of course).......it's really that good.

Very nice, well done. :clap: Thanks for the opportunity to be able to have a look at the rest.

Truth be known, my girlfriend went back to college at age 50 to pick up a degree in horticulture. Interestingly enough, one of the classes she is taking is watercolor. She's been focusing on trying to paint pine cones, oak leaves, fruiting plants, and basically anything she can get her hands on that is of interest to her. When I found his photos and shared them with her a few days ago, I wasn't even thinking of her watercolor class. She is going to try to paint one of his orchids. I don't know which one she will choose but she gave me permission to post a photo of her watercolor and also told me she'd like me to mail it to him after she gets her final grade for taking the time to take photos like that to share with people. She had never seen anything like those 3D photos before either.

Here is the start of my girlfriend's work for her watercolor class using one of Gore42's photos. I believe she said this would be for her final in that class.

Paphinprogress.jpg

Now mind you, she's no paphioboy or streetmorrisart but she loves what she is doing and hopes to acquire enough skill to be able to illustrate some of the plants she studies in the future.

She's not that great with a camera and lopped off the top of her watercolor when she took the photograph for me to post here. The actual watercolor does look balanced on the paper. I'm sort of crossing my fingers that it turns out nice. It's currently at a stage right where there isn't much I can say about it other than that it looks as if it has great potential.

Back