Paph. tigrinum 'Windy Hill'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In bloom this morning, we bought this tigrinum clone from Marilyn Le Doux in November, 2010. Petals are narrower than the 'Birchwood' clone, but the dorsal sepal has better shape. About the most vigorous clone of any we own, it's an annual bloomer.

Last edited:
Wow, my favourite. If this is more commonly available I wouldn't mine having 10 clones of this species.

Culture sheet is still a bit of a mystery. Culture sheets varies. Some says need winter rest. And I have read OZ grows them kept moist all the time. I grew it mine following parishii culture and the bud blasted. I suspect that it was too dry. Anyways this time i will go moist all the time. Best of luck to me.

IMO vigor is one of the most desirable characteristics in any breeding program. In addition with the well shaped dorsal this is a very useful tigrinum! I guess you will cross 'Birchwood' with 'Windy Hill'.

It is our plan to do a sib cross using 'Windy Hill' as the tigrinum capsule parent. The 'Birchwood' clone will be rested this year because we harvested a seed capsule (x self) from it last year after an 18 month gestation period.

Lovely plant. I think mine might flower this spring....Fingers crossed! Do you keep it cool/dry in winter Tom?

As far as watering, I water these more heavily during the growing season. Although watered less in winter, I don't ever let them dry out. I hate to suggest watering on a schedule because everyone's conditions are different (humidity,light level and mix formula and age). In our case, the average watering cycle for this species ends up being 6-7 days in winter and 4-5 days in summer depending upon the amount of light the plants receive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back