Paph. tigrinum 'Windy Hill'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In bloom this morning, we got this clone from Marilyn Le Doux a couple of years ago. The dorsal sepal is one of the widest we've seen. Bred it with our best Fox Valley clone 'A' after taking the photo. Now to wait 14-16 months for the seed pod to mature:D

Last edited:
Woot! I want this so bad. I want a flask! Have you tried breeding this species before? I heard they are quite hard to germinate from seeds.

I think Sam Tsui just brought a few flasks from the lab we use, but I'm not sure. He's about the only one who has been selling them as flasks. The main problem seems to be that the seed pods take so long to mature; and seed pods harvested early just don't give good germination.

fantastic! i'm on the waiting list for a division from one of our esteemed members here....

And only a 2 growth plant. Did you have to take extra precautions about keeping the crown dry during development?

Very Nice Tom:drool:

I've got one in sheath right now, and the season is right about now. So maybe it will do it this year for me too.

Hi Rick,

No extra precautions keeping the crown dry. In fact, I wonder whether all the bud blasting we hear about is due to overly dry conditions....just a thought. Fact is, if what you're doing leads to bud blast, then you have to do the opposite. I have yet to see crown rot or bud blast in a well grown tigrinum given ample quantities of water.

My single experience with tigrinum was that the bud blasted when the plant was younger. Once the plant had gone through 2 bud and spike blasts, it became a very reliable and easy bloomer. I miss that plant!

Latest posts

Back