Paph. sanderianum 'Melinau Paku'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

One of our Paph. sanderianum's is in bloom, and has 6 flowers on one flower spike! So, I thought I would share some pictures. The petals are 64 cm long, so that is a total of 768 cm of petal length on one flower spike!.

Robert

A fantastic display and just stunning with 6 flowers. Is there a secret to the bloom count or will this be the norm from the parentage?

Gary
UK

Just Wonderful!!! :clap::clap::clap: Love sanderianum's so much. At some point I want a few of these in my collection. Love Love sanderianum's. Thank you for the pictures!!!:clap:

WOW. What a display. I can't recall ever seeing a sanderianum with 6 flowers. And the plant doesn't look that ridiculously big either.

Excellent plant!!! Where did you get it? How long have you had it?

Sounds like it may be some wild collected plant from the cultivar name? The Melinau Basin is where Mulu is in Borneo where Paph. sanderianum are found and Paku is generic for 'fern' so it might've been because there're lots of ferns there. I made that all up in my head but maybe Robert can tell us more hehe : )

Sounds like it may be some wild collected plant from the cultivar name? The Melinau Basin is where Mulu is in Borneo where Paph. sanderianum are found and Paku is generic for 'fern' so it might've been because there're lots of ferns there. I made that all up in my head but maybe Robert can tell us more hehe : )

LOL, no this is a seed grown plant that originated I believe from Hilo Orchid Farms. I named it "Melinau Paku" as I wanted to give it a name from the area where they are native too (Mulu Park). Melinau Paku is one of the rivers in the Park, and as this plant has long winding petals, just like a river of petals, that is why I named it as such...

Robert

LOL, no this is a seed grown plant that originated I believe from Hilo Orchid Farms. I named it "Melinau Paku" as I wanted to give it a name from the area where they are native too (Mulu Park). Melinau Paku is one of the rivers in the Park, and as this plant has long winding petals, just like a river of petals, that is why I named it as such...

Robert

Great! I knew there would be a more logical reason.. This sandie sure has some long winding petals : D

Man this is a very good sandie! I have never seen sanderianum with 6 flowers until now. Guess you have set a new standard. Looks like 7 flowers is the magigal number now similar to roth. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back