Paphiopedilum Oberhausen's Rubin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Third time I have flowered it and first time I have got 3 flowers. It is a very slow grower. Orchid Zone breeding. The petals are 27 cm in length.

Paph Oberhausen's Rubin (sanderianum 'Ray' x wilhelminiae 'Black Magic')

oberhausen-s-rubin-2023.jpg

It has such great color!! I refer to that as kind of a butterscotch pouch. Both sepals have very rich striping to them and with those petals of rich mahogany maybe {?} twisting what, 15 times, that is such a gorgeous flower!!! (those petals are doing the exact same thing, like synchronized swimmers)
I would imagine any sanderianum lover would jump at the chance to purchase this cross!!!!
AND TO TOP OFF the entire image, it is sitting in that ceramic pot that makes for a perfect color combination!!!! Just SUPER! 👍 👍 👍

Very nice David.
Too slow though. I have thought about sell off plants like this. Tough to breed with and the space/time may not be worth it.
I haven't yet but plans are in the works, good example, Rofei.

Very nice David.
Too slow though. I have thought about sell off plants like this. Tough to breed with and the space/time may not be worth it.
I haven't yet but plans are in the works, good example, Rofei.

This one is very compact, so doesn't take up a lot of space. It does have its flaws, but the twisted petals are pretty special. When I take it into our monthly orchid meetings, everyone drools over it, even the judges. So maybe I will save a little space for this one for now. :)

Wonderful, dark colours, David! May we have a close-up of the staminodal shield?

Please, expound on this....for us here high up in the Northern Hemisphere?1

I will try and remember to take a photo tomorrow.

Just a reference to the same thing happening when praestans/wilheminiae was crossed with rothschildianum. Before wilheminiae was separated into a separate species, they were all Susan Booth's. In fact, I have a Paph William Ambler that was awarded as a Susan Booth.

I didn't think about this cross with sanderianum. The label says Oberhausen's Rubin but this is an OZ cross from many, many years ago. So, I should have been aware of the new name.

Latest posts

Back