Paph sanderianum 'Jungle Magic'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had this plant in my collection for 10 years and this is its first normal blooming for me. It spiked about 5 years ago, but the flowers were deformed.

The flower petals are about 18" long. This one is pre -CITES wild collected. I got a division from Chuck Acker before he stopped growing Paphs

1000006753.jpg1000006754.jpg1000006756.jpg1000006769.jpg1000006770.jpg1000006771.jpg

Congrats. How do you grow this species? I've got some seedlings, hoping THIS time I've got the real deal but they're young and I probably shouldn't expect them to bloom in my lifetime.

Although the color and the petal length are not spectacular, overall I like it. I am not 100% sure it is a pure sanderianum, but don't take my word for it.

What are your observations that gives you doubt on this flowering? I’m curious,
The white veins on leaves(bottom part) bother me the most. Pure sanderianum doesn't have that(at least that is what I have seen and told by others). Color and petal length might be another indication. But if you ask me what it should be, I have no answer, so "don't take my word for it"

The white veins on leaves(bottom part) bother me the most. Pure sanderianum doesn't have that(at least that is what I have seen and told by others). Color and petal length might be another indication. But if you ask me what it should be, I have no answer, so "don't take my word for it"
I wonder if that is cultural. Or genetics. Let me ask Zephyrus as he’s flowered a bunch of sandies.

Now the pouch color bothers me a bit too. It didn't show a hint of purple, especially from the last photo........As we're all aware, 10 years ago, everyone had "sanderianum" for sale and the majority of them were not real/pure.
Please ask your friend, Leslie. Another set of eyes is always helpful. I could be totally wrong here.

Last edited:
Many sanderianum had the white margin on the leaves in the 90's indeed. There are a few colonies that don't, but back then it was the standard. They were collected in the Mulu Park, but the access was much more difficult by foot than what it became around 1998, where other colonies became readily accessible, including using helicopters...

For the flowers, this looks really like one of the old 90's sanderianum indeed. They were 100% wild collected back then, no seedlings were available. The Orchid Zone 'Deep Pockets' x 'Jacob's Ladder' thousands of released seedlings, that turned out to be PEOY, deterred most from doing their own seedlings...

Sanderianum has many types of plants and flowers, a bit like rothschildianum. Very narrow leaves, borderline looking like an esquirolei plant, very wide soft leaves, huge plants the size of a gigantifolium, tiny things of 25-30cm leafspan. They all existed back then.

Some were incredibly hard to grow, apparently it was really related to the colonies they came from. Today, what persists worldwide is bred from maybe 20 wild original plants, not even.

5 flowers, very nice! What are your growing conditions?

Congrats. How do you grow this species? I've got some seedlings, hoping THIS time I've got the real deal but they're young and I probably shouldn't expect them to bloom in my lifetime.
I'm an indoor grower, so it gets whatever temp I feel comfortable at. It does get 65-75% humidity at all times in my growing cabinet. 12 hours of light year round.

Although the color and the petal length are not spectacular, overall I like it. I am not 100% sure it is a pure sanderianum, but don't take my word for it.
Gonna have to disagree here on any doubt about it being pure species. Any white line seen on the underside of the leaves is an artifact of the photos. They're pure green in person. And I've seen more photos of in situ sandies that have brown pouches than any other color.

I talked to Chuck and he said he got his sandies from Ray Rands and another dealer in 1990. They were all jungle collected.

In Phil Cribb photos, the leaves on the wild one have no "white vein"

I talked to Chuck and he said he got his sandies from Ray Rands and another dealer in 1990. They were all jungle collected.
Yeah, I had one from Ray rands and it was labeled as "Jacob's Ladder", guess what, it was not, not even a sanderianum.

and agian, I could be wrong. If I were you, I would rather have a hybrid with such a flower, rather than a species with flowers in question. Just saying.

Latest posts

Back