Paph. rothschildianum (‘Black Diamond x ‘Atticus’ AM/AOS, B/WOC)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! Love the dorsal and the wide petals, great overall presence! The petal stance is really nice, and it looks like a pretty compact plant. Hopefully, the flowers will be spaced out a little more on the next flowering, but you are certainly blooming out some beautiful roths this year, congrats!

I love this one. The chunky flowers look great. I think I prefer this one to your New Horizon x Raptor. Comparisons can be difficult through photos though. Which one do you prefer?

Looks a great compact plant too.

I love this one. The chunky flowers look great. I think I prefer this one to your New Horizon x Raptor. Comparisons can be difficult through photos though. Which one do you prefer?

Looks a great compact plant too.
Actually, I prefer the Raptor. The 27 cm. Petal width looks big. I agree with Dr. Leslie on the pouch/dorsal angle of the Raptor looking closed. Also, both Roth’s have a kind of short flower spacing. I think that is from an 8 bulb T5’s being to close. I should of raised the fixture more and sooner. That may even have a bit to do with the cupped dorsal of the Raptor. As far as the compact plant, I think there is some specific item having to do with my culture. For a first bloom seedling I think the blooms are nice. Later on with multigrowths, Big Plants=Big flowers. I know some Roth’s I have seen are 2-3 times larger than these. Easily. Live and learn, grow and learn. Interestingly the Atticus spike started sooner and was 3+ inches ahead of the Raptor. But the Raptorkicked it in gear and outgrew the Atticus!! Duck

Actually, I prefer the Raptor. The 27 cm. Petal width looks big. I agree with Dr. Leslie on the pouch/dorsal angle of the Raptor looking closed. Also, both Roth’s have a kind of short flower spacing. I think that is from an 8 bulb T5’s being to close. I should of raised the fixture more and sooner. That may even have a bit to do with the cupped dorsal of the Raptor. As far as the compact plant, I think there is some specific item having to do with my culture. For a first bloom seedling I think the blooms are nice. Later on with multigrowths, Big Plants=Big flowers. I know some Roth’s I have seen are 2-3 times larger than these. Easily. Live and learn, grow and learn. Interestingly the Atticus spike started sooner and was 3+ inches ahead of the Raptor. But the Raptorkicked it in gear and outgrew the Atticus!! Duck

Yes, one thing you can't judge from photos is size. You really need to see flowers in person to get the full perspective.

I have experienced the same thing with bigger growths. The growths in my Bel Royal keep getting bigger and bigger but the flower count never changes. The flowers just get bigger and better.

Back