Paph parishii preview

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I harvested the capsules earlier this month.

I sent the self and one of the outcross to Troy Meyers and I'll send the third capsule to Gary.

The seed quality has already been assessed. Kind of odd there was more seed and about 75% with embryos for the capsule from the selfing and only 5% good embryos for the out cross.

But that's still plenty of good seed to get a few flasks off.

Fabulous record from flower to seed.

When will the next Chapter documenting the flasking and compots be written?

So, how long until the next generation blooms?

Fabulous record from flower to seed.

When will the next Chapter documenting the flasking and compots be written?

So, how long until the next generation blooms?

Hopefully will get a flask back in a year.

If it works out as good as lowii then 1st bloom may be about 5 years from now:eek:

However, lowii capsules never took this long to mature so if that's any indication then 5 years may be optimistic.

I have a few other ST breeding collaborations that I've posted over the years the most recent is SlipperKings Paph esquirolei blooming.

So far the fastest ever complete cycle for me has been Paph henryanum that probably ran the whole cycle in about 4 years.

Nice!
Is this species susceptible to crown rot like dianthum?

Nice!
Is this species susceptible to crown rot like dianthum?

I haven't had crown rot issues with either, but I have had some erwinia with parishii, in the past.

This species would grow terribly stunted for me in the past. I cut way down on feeding and its turned into a large plant with fast, disease resistant growth.

My dianthum are growing larger with better roots with reduced feeding too.

Thanks Rick.
In your observation do you feel they are two distinct species, or perhaps just a variant?

Thanks Rick.
In your observation do you feel they are two distinct species, or perhaps just a variant?

It's kind of funny you should ask since my first dianthum was actually purchased as a parishii, and several years later when it finally bloomed it was obviously not a parishii. Back when I bought it, dianthum was often thought of as a variety of parishii, but even back then you could readily tell the difference between the two species just by looking at pictures of the flowers.

But also geographic range is distinct, blooming season is different, habit (and habitat preference) is different.

I worry that there are some accidental or illicit hybrids floating around though for those who wanted to increase the flower count of dianthum and maybe put some added size into parishii flowers.

Compared to other pairs like hirsutisimum vs esquirolei, wilhelminae vs praestens, and barbatum vs callosum, parishii vs dianthum is a slam dunk.

Latest posts

Back