Paph. niveum 2021

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You think? Flower quality is not that good though! Maybe if I had a better flower crossing it with this will result with decent flowers and good vigour!

I would prefer a plant that grows vigorously and flowers profusely than one that produces perfect flowers every now and then and is a constant battle to keep alive. But that's just me.

I would prefer a plant that grows vigorously and flowers profusely than one that produces perfect flowers every now and then and is a constant battle to keep alive. But that's just me.

yup! I feel the same! Also... I find that even “normal” paphs produce exceptional flowers once they are happy multigrowth plants.

yup! I feel the same! Also... I find that even “normal” paphs produce exceptional flowers once they are happy multigrowth plants.
I see both sides of the picture. I really appreciate well grown and flowered plants, particularly the specimens.

However as a judge, my eyes are always trained on the lookout of the balance of form and colors in a group of plants, not only during judging but also when I buy orchids at shows. Even online I buy orchids based on flower pics of the plant or parents.

Many of us do it unconsciously in fact. And if we participate in orchid shows, it invariably creeps up in one's mine what is good and what is crap. The orchids themselves test each of us when we walk through a show. Many are drawn to the roundest or weirdest and most colorful blooms.

Even here, among the professed non-elitist, a stunning flower will elicit their wondrous remarks. It is only human.

I see both sides of the picture. I really appreciate well grown and flowered plants, particularly the specimens.

However as a judge, my eyes are always trained on the lookout of the balance of form and colors in a group of plants, not only during judging but also when I buy orchids at shows. Even online I buy orchids based on flower pics of the plant or parents.

Many of us do it unconsciously in fact. And if we participate in orchid shows, it invariably creeps up in one's mine what is good and what is crap. The orchids themselves test each of us when we walk through a show. Many are drawn to the roundest or weirdest and most colorful blooms.

Even here, among the professed non-elitist, a stunning flower will elicit their wondrous remarks. It is only human.

well said! I do look for good parents when buying seedlings!

that being said I wouldn’t mind an award winning division, as long as I don’t have to pay a fortune for it! I’d rather buy a flask with award winning parents and take my chances!

I do have admiration for people that can afford these expensive divisions and have the confidence in their growing skills not to kill them! I’d be scared to death owning a plant bought for more than 200$!

Last edited:
well said! I do look for good parents when buying seedlings!

that being said I wouldn’t mind an award winning division, as long as I don’t have to pay a fortune for it! I’d rather buy a flask with award winning parents and take my chances!

I do have admiration for people that can afford these expensive divisions and have the confidence in their growing skills not to kill them! I’d be scared to death owning a plant bought for more than 200$!
You are a very good grower. I would trust you with a $1000 plant lol.

Latest posts

Back