Paph. niveum 2021

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks so good and healthy! Do you mind explaining foliar feed? It's the first time i hear about it :) @papheteer

I just mix whatever fertilizer I use, in this case miracle gro, in a sprayer and add a few drops of castille soap. Spray that whole plant and that’s that. I make sure to do right when I open the lights so that the plants are dry when the lights go off. Or else there’s a risk of rot especially with these brachy types.

Additional to fertilizing the growing medium? Is it worth a try?
Yes. I fertilizing every time I water.
Foliar feeding may add a little benefit for culture. But not a lot. Even media fertilizing is just a tiny percentage of the equation. Lighting, watering, media, air flow are by far more important.

You can send that "average " niveum my way anytime!
Are you growing in an organic mix or not?
I love this average niveum to bits! I prefer good growing plants over award quality blooms. Both would be nice though!

Fir bark with some perlite and charcoal. I don’t have any luck with inorganic mixes. It gets too “cool” for brachies under my conditions. No luck with orchiata too. But I think the pot is more roots than bark at this time. Haven’t repotted in about 3 years

Good to hear.
I had a friend in the early 2000s that wasn't a great grower and he always moved his plants outside for the summer. Squirrels were a problem for him, knocking plants everywhere. Bottom line he had this beautifully grown Psyche in a plastic pot with nothing but Styrofoam peanuts after squirrels worked it over. Put it in bark mix and down hill it would go.

Good to hear.
I had a friend in the early 2000s that wasn't a great grower and he always moved his plants outside for the summer. Squirrels were a problem for him, knocking plants everywhere. Bottom line he had this beautifully grown Psyche in a plastic pot with nothing but Styrofoam peanuts after squirrels worked it over. Put it in bark mix and down hill it would go.

Poor Psyche! I have a big brachy that's growing in pure moss. Go figure! I intend to repot it soon but scared that it may not take well to fir bark!

Latest posts

Back