Paph Macabre 'Mother Mary'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where will it be shown? Good question. This is where the Judging panel and show schedule makers need to catch up. There are so many plants exhibited with the 'sukhakulii' petals that a new class needs to be set. To my way of thinking, Paphs that fill the shape standard of 'Maudiae type' are 'barbatum, lawrenceanum & callosum' in the species or 'Maudiae, Claire De Lune, Alma Geveart' etc in the hybrids are TRUE 'Maudiae' types. Once any thing else is included, the 'type' shape generally disappears. I wouldn't put too much thought into where the 'suk' petal types fit in a catalog, all that does is confuse the potential purchaser by buying something that it isn't. What should happen is the creation of the 'suk' influence hybrid section as was created with the 'Maudiae type' section.
I don't know what sections for Paphs you have in the US but over here, all hell would break loose if a 'suk' type plant won in the Maudiae section.
Roy.

Roy said:
Where will it be shown?

If I am able to go and the plant is still in good shape; the Boylston, Massachussetts judging center (Northeast supplemental judging center).

Peter, good luck with your paph. I am a judge with the Aust' Orchid Council and in my opinion from the pic', it is well worthy of a high, quality award. One of the things that strikes me is the 'balance' of the flower. Everything seems to be in harmony. Size unknown but an excellent Paph.
'Where will it be shown', I mean 'what class'?. please let us know how you went and in what paph catagory it is judged.
Roy.

Thanks to all!

I hope the flowers lasts in this excellent shape for another 12 days!

I brought it to the Boylston, MA judging. The judges did not award it!

They felt that because of the size and quality it was equal to other AM/AOS Macabres and awardable. However, they didn't award it because they said it doesn't add anything more to the ones already awarded. They also stated that they didn't want to parralel award. There have already been 117 awards to this hybrid.

I was pleased to hear that it was awardable anyway.

The Judges SUCK. Whats wrong with another award anyway???? If a plant is awardable then award it !! From what I have seen in Awards Quarterly, yours was well worthy of awarding. Soom I have seen a far less in quality to yours.
Maybe they were jealous.

And this is why the judging of orchids is broken. Well, this and a dozen other reasons.

Hey Heather, I found my judging soapbox. You didn't hide it well enough. :evil:

Just to add to the discussion, I am a Judge, not in the USA, but what I see across the world is "inconsistancy" with panels. Even here in Aus', you can see it at shows, monthly meetings and in awards. Awards Quarterly is a great publication to highlight this, one would have to ask the question " how do some of these panels/judges hold their accreditation???" We aren't privilaged to see our National awards on such a regular basis and am sure I would ask the same question. Maybe it's the " who owns it factor " running.

I have submitted my application to become an AOS judge, but have not been accepted yet. I think this discussion of 'parallel' awards is very interesting. I'm sure I have a lot to learn, but in my opinion, if a flower is of the quality that it deserves an award, it should be awarded. That being said, how is it that flowers get an HCC or AM once an HCC or AM is already awarded and published? Maybe I'm not understanding the 'parallel' award part. If it gets the points, award it.

Craig

Aren't HCC's for superior culture? I think judges can only compare to known quality and if it surpasses a standard it gets more points toward FCC. At the GNYOS there are many [Hundreds] of show awards but few AOS awards.

If judges really use the parallel award idea there can only be 3 awards for any single hybrid. HCC, AM and FCC. If the first clone of a hybrid judged gets an FCC there could never be an Am or HCC awarded.

The whole concept is warped, each plant should be judged as an individual and if it is equal to one that has an AM it should also get an AM.

Who came up with the first come first served award concept anyway?

Latest posts

Back