Paph Macabre 'Mother Mary'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonewild said:
The whole concept is warped, each plant should be judged as an individual and if it is equal to one that has an AM it should also get an AM.

Who came up with the first come first served award concept anyway?

I disagree! Breeding improves or doesn't over time. There should be options beyond three plants awarded years ago. Look at the roths today!

It isn't warped. If there is progress over the last AM award a cross receives, it should be allowed to be upgraded to an FCC.

Progress. Not like size or color. It should be BETTER.

I'm not sure why you people have a difficult time understanding this. :poke:

Because bigger doesn't mean an orchid is better. Rounder doesn't mean an orchid is better. Who you know at the judging center doesn't mean your orchid is better.

But then again, I am biased. I think judging is a silly waste of time.

You ever had a plant you thought worth judging? You might feel different.
I've learned from the process, a GREAT deal, and I think it is something every serious grower should experience. It gives you a really great insight into the background of judging and the why.

Don't judge if you don't know about judging, IMHO!
(and I don't mean the plants, I mean the system, I've learned so much listening in on judging sessions!)

I have not bloomed one plant that would be "worthy" of judging.

I don't think you have to participate in plant contests to be a serious grower. You have learned alot about the judging system, and what judges look for in awardable plants, neither of which interests me.

I don't have to sit and watch paint dry to know it would be a waste of my time.

Heather said:
I disagree! Breeding improves or doesn't over time. There should be options beyond three plants awarded years ago. Look at the roths today!

No, you misunderstood what I meant or I said what I didn't mean. There should be unlimited options for plants to be awarded and not limited by the necessity to be better than a previous award. Equal to should be enough.

It isn't warped. If there is progress over the last AM award a cross receives, it should be allowed to be upgraded to an FCC.

Yes, but a plant should not be screened because it is not good enough for an FCC and there are already plenty of lower awards. I guess maybe it is the screening process that is warped.

Progress. Not like size or color. It should be BETTER.

The judging should be against a set of criteria and not the fact that a hybrid already has plenty of awards.

I'm not sure why you people have a difficult time understanding this. :poke:

The same reason you do. :poke: back

Heather said:
You ever had a plant you thought worth judging? You might feel different.
I've learned from the process, a GREAT deal, and I think it is something every serious grower should experience. It gives you a really great insight into the background of judging and the why.

Don't judge if you don't know about judging, IMHO!
(and I don't mean the plants, I mean the system, I've learned so much listening in on judging sessions!)

You sound like a lawyer talking about the legal system. ;)

I know, I buy the leftovers from the previously bloomed miniature species bench. I am doomed! :)

I would never judge you. You aren't as round as the other HCC's in this category.

Latest posts

Back