Paph. Lady Isabel

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an incredible clone. The sepals look enormous. What is the cross? I also have a Lady Isobel flask from Sam I am growing out.

Roth was Kingkong. I need to get name for the stonei used. Kingkong was supposed to be huge, 7.2 DS.

Possibly the same cross as mine - stonei 'Wide Wings' x rothschildianum 'King Kong'. Mine are growing well, but nowhere near flowering size yet. I have only been growing them for 2 or 3 years.

It is often difficult to evaluate from images posted. But as is often the case, it may be the only thing we can do for the moment. But with such a huge dorsal on what is obviously a gorgeous flower, in a few of gego’s pictures, am I seeing an undersized pouch? It appears at times to be out of proportion with that huge dorsal.
Bigger is often not automatically better. I would need to see it face to face. Well face to pouch I guess.

The issue of spelling of the Lady goes on forever. She was registered as Lady Isobel is 1897 but we want her to be Isabel.

I thought it was the opposite. Mistakenly registered as Isabel but the daughter it was named after was Isobel. So it has been now corrected.

It is often difficult to evaluate from images posted. But as is often the case, it may be the only thing we can do for the moment. But with such a huge dorsal on what is obviously a gorgeous flower, in a few of gego’s pictures, am I seeing an undersized pouch? It appears at times to be out of proportion with that huge dorsal.
Bigger is often not automatically better. I would need to see it face to face. Well face to pouch I guess.
It does have more influence from stonei on the pouch and the roth used has influenced the size of the dorsal.20231112_165255.jpg

I am with you emydura. It was very nicely documented in this linked article below - all credits to Nick from. “Sweetgum and Pines”
I hope he does not mind me sharing his article.

Paphiopedilum Lady Isobel: hybrid history
Thanks for correcting me. The registered name, Isobel, is now also the right one. I don’t think all the tags out there and pictures and flasks in progress will quickly get fixed so the name confusion will continue to some extent.

Judging from both sepals, it wouldn't be surprising if it got some King Kong-blood in its veins! Splendiferous!

Lady Isobel was a formidable lady, who in the orchid world suffered a demeaning misspelling for 100 years, untill Nick righted the wrong (see link in DirGo's post above). And as a gallant Knight in shining armour he even succeeded in getting the registrar at the RHS to correct the misspelling!

Really laudable orchid-sleuthing - that provides us with the possibility of entertaining our respective orchid societies with the story of victorian ladies and icehockey.
The venerable Lady Isobel had not only an orchid hybrid named after her, the championship trophy of the Premier Icehockey Federation is called the Isobel Cup in her honour (the family must have been very keen on Icehockey as her father, former General Govenor of Canada, lend his name to the Stanley Cup): Lady Isobel Gathorne-Hardy - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobel_Cup

Last edited:
Amazing presentation, great dorsal and nice wide petals! My only wish, and this might be nitpicking, is that the pouch color were a little more intense, maybe some cooler nights could help with that?

Amazing presentation, great dorsal and nice wide petals! My only wish, and this might be nitpicking, is that the pouch color were a little more intense, maybe some cooler nights could help with that?
We can only wish. Maybe cross this with a nice anitum or a Hsinying Anita.

Latest posts

Back