Paph.esquirolei'Taka' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing. Where do you go from here. It is hard to improve on perfection.

David

Taka is the complexhybrid esquirolei x Birborough. A german seller sold several selected plants under the false name of esquirolei.

Here photo of Paphiopedilum Hans Strahl that are like esquirolei - photo by grex manufacturer

hansstrahl.jpg

And link to website of seller:

http://www.orchideen-wichmann.de/ozw/shop/artikel/pflanzen/Paphiopedilum/PA0763PG1Paphiopedilumhirsutissimum_Gold_Paph.Bidborough.php

Some close to esquirolei some closer to bidborough.

They like very big esquirolei but they most of them are sterile polyploid.

stunning bloom on the FCC! I love the clean lines.

You are not suggesting that this awarded plant is a hybrid, are you Tinh?

esquirolei Taka FCC/AOS is indeed a complex hybrid

one more proof for the owner is to count the chromosomes the number is 43

Fantastic bloom! :) :D

IMHO, the pouch shape of the esquirolei and the hybrid are pretty different...

M. Wichmann had over 2000 seedlings of this cross. Picture of 3 is just small sample. He confirms that he sold many in bloom to a german trader and some were like very huge esquirolei.

Careful examination of the flower of Paph. esquirolei `Taka' FCC/AOS reveals no evidence of any other parent but another esquirolei. Given the fact that most complexes are polyploid, at least to some degree, the influence of a complex parent should be obvious.

These sorts of discussions are frustrating because so many knowledgable people hold such disparate opinions. For me, its enough to know that there's some sort of question about the background of 'Taka'. Doesn't detract from the flower.

Maybe I should start collecting ignoble orchids and displaying them just for their checkered pasts. Phrag sedenii 'Westonbirt', C loddigessia 'Streeter's Choice', C walkeriana 'Pendentive' and 'Kenny'. Terry Root's spicerianums, Paph esqueroli Taka, hmmm I could come up with quite a nice collection that way...

These sorts of discussions are frustrating because so many knowledgable people hold such disparate opinions. For me, its enough to know that there's some sort of question about the background of 'Taka'. Doesn't detract from the flower.

Maybe I should start collecting ignoble orchids and displaying them just for their checkered pasts. Phrag sedenii 'Westonbirt', C loddigessia 'Streeter's Choice', C walkeriana 'Pendentive' and 'Kenny'. Terry Root's spicerianums, Paph esqueroli Taka, hmmm I could come up with quite a nice collection that way...

jejeje.. don't forget to add Cattleya mossiae 'Willowbrook' FCC/AOS, Cattleya lueddemaniana 'Stanley' and many others :rollhappy:

I used to know that "taka"was a original wild plant.
After,a german seller bought the hybrid from Wichmann and sold as divisions of "Taka".
Last year I've seen in Thailand a wild plant similar to "taka"(someway even more interesting colour...petals nearly purple from tip to staminode),
The most famous clone awarded as a species,but in reality a wickmann hybrid,was the GM,best in show at Dijon WOC in France.(I remember to have seen the plants,declared that was hybrid,stimulating laughs around me... :) )

Latest posts

Back