Paph.esquirolei'Taka' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fascinatinger and fascinatinger! Anyway, I agree with others that these are wonderful flowers, no matter their exact chromosomal makeup.

A pic of the Dijon bloom!!! Jean

Yes,I can recognize the leave of the beautifull Calanthe seiboldii of Franz glanz.Unfortunately from the picture,is difficult to understand the crazy measurements of the flower...nearly doubble size than a normal one.

Yes,I can recognize the leave of the beautifull Calanthe seiboldii of Franz glanz.Unfortunately from the picture,is difficult to understand the crazy measurements of the flower...nearly doubble size than a normal one.

What would these dimensions be?

These sorts of discussions are frustrating because so many knowledgable people hold such disparate opinions. For me, its enough to know that there's some sort of question about the background of 'Taka'. Doesn't detract from the flower.

Maybe I should start collecting ignoble orchids and displaying them just for their checkered pasts. Phrag sedenii 'Westonbirt', C loddigessia 'Streeter's Choice', C walkeriana 'Pendentive' and 'Kenny'. Terry Root's spicerianums, Paph esqueroli Taka, hmmm I could come up with quite a nice collection that way...

Don't forget Phrag. schlimii 'Wilcox':poke:

So I think I got lost somewhere along the way...

The actual plant awarded as 'Taka' was a real, likely polyploid, esq, but someone then made a mass-produced hybrid that looked like a monster esq, so they marketed it as 'Taka'??? It just get this impression because it seems like it's a widespread "clone" (ie different plants/clones of a consistent look-a-like complex hybrid in this case)

Or are we arguing that the awarded 'Taka' itself is an (esq. X complex) hybrid?

So I think I got lost somewhere along the way...

The actual plant awarded as 'Taka' was a real, likely polyploid, esq, but someone then made a mass-produced hybrid that looked like a monster esq, so they marketed it as 'Taka'??? It just get this impression because it seems like it's a widespread "clone" (ie different plants/clones of a consistent look-a-like complex hybrid in this case)

Or are we arguing that the awarded 'Taka' itself is an (esq. X complex) hybrid?

This is my opinion more or less. "Taka"is not polyployd,is normal dimension,but spectacular shape and colour.

After,a big group of hybrid (esq. X complex),flowered and the ones that were more similar to esquiroley(nearly identical but much bigger)were selected and sold as esquirolei.One of them reached WOC/Dijon and won first price.(Larger than my hand and my hand is big so 22cm or more).In reality I am not 100% shure about it.Maybe also taka is from that group.I remember someone offering division of WOC one,Taka and other very big ones....Same week I received warning about those fake plants so not bought them.But I remember about taka before WOC/Dijon...but maybe I m wrong.Have to check the date of the award of Taka.
Maybe Tinh can expalin us his version and so maybe we can find the truth...maybe in the middle...

Back