P. delenatii & P. delenatii v. dunkel bud watch begins...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Orchid Boy

Reaction score
I was too excited to wait for blooms to post pictures of...

Here's my Paph. delenatii, my first slipper orchid, in bud. It has 2 buds in there. I'm so anxious and excited for it to bloom and how it will turn out, if the color will be lighter or darker, if it will have fragrance or not. Last year it was at this stage at the end of January, so it's a lot later than last year. This will be its first time to open a bloom, if I don't knock it off. That's what happened last year. It has an 8.5" (~25.5 cm) leafspan, 2 growths, 1.75" (~4.4 cm) wide leaves, and I got it from Mid-Pacific Orchids for $19.

P1060495_zps3ef157a7.jpg

Here's the Paph. delenatii v. dunkel I got from Sam at the show 2 weeks ago for $40. It has 1 growth, a 6 inch leafspan, and 1" (~2.5 cm) wide leaves.

P1060494_zpsd7dccc58.jpg

They look so elegant when in spike. So excited:clap: that I'm going crazy:crazy:!!!

I always think it's so cool when delenatii buds develop, they're so hairy...and then they become so dainty! It's like ugly-duckling becomes beautiful swan!

I've had some bad luck! I seem to only have bad luck with delenatii spikes. I found the dunkel like this, this morning. It is brownish and soft. I supported it with a stake now but it doesn't look good. Aargh! Why did it do this all of a sudden?

P1060534_zps48f7abc5.jpg

Major bummer. I believe you got hit by the Jinx

What OZ paph said. Check everything and if lucky it will send out new growths this spring in which it will be matured to bloom next spring.

Sorry...

So maybe the jinx thing is true! I posted bud pictures of my delenatii last year on another forum and right before it bloomed I knocked the buds off.

Amen on keeping the spike dry. I'd check your roots for rot and repot if
the potting medium seems soggy. I'm also very sorry to see that sad
stem when everything seemed to be going so well. The same thing happened to me with an urbanianum and I lost it. Fortunately, I have
another that's blooming now, so keep your hopes up.

I had the same thing happening with my schoseri (and I didn't even post any pictures of it in my jinx thread!), the bud/spike rotted away, but luckily it seems the rot stopped there.

I honestly thought the bud/spike of your vinicolor looked sort of dead-ish in the previous picture, but I wasn't certain so I didn't say anything. Regretting it now...

I hope the rest of the plant is okay!

It has 1 leaf that dried up when I got it, 2 bottom leaves that were yellowing when I got it, and I noticed 1 leaf that is brown or discolored at the base but is only discolored on the top of the leaf. It seems to have good roots, I'll repot it soon.

it happens to the best of us. plant looks healthy enough overall, it should be fine and hopefully you'll get another flower in 1-2 years.

Latest posts

Back