Cymbidium goeringii flower bud compare and contrast

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
One more week before I bring Cymbidium goeringii indoor. Very excited to see that most of the flower buds have reached its size, looking like little bamboo shoots. The flower sheaths look fresh and the buds look full (inside the sheath). The buds remain this size and will only start getting taller 1 month before blooming in the spring. I like to compare and contrast the different shapes and colours of the buds at this time.
Cymbidium goeringii “Wan Zi” (Chinese variety)/中國春蘭「汪字」has a red flower sheath, cylindrical shaped bud. “Wan Zi” is a green flower variety with daffodil petal form.
Cymbidium goeringii “Kōrin” (Japanese variety)/日本春蘭「光琳」has a white flower sheath, cylindrical shaped bud. It has a white flower sheath because it is developed in the dark. To produce a vibrant orange flower in the spring, the flower bud must be developed in the dark by capping it. The cap is removed only 2 weeks before blooming in the spring. “Kōrin” is an orange flower variety with a lotus petal form. This is a very robust variety, produces buds and blooms every year for me (I snipped off 2 buds last year to skip a year).
Cymbidium goeringii “Haruka” (Japanese variety)/日本春蘭「春華」has a white flower sheath, cylindrical shaped bud. It has a white flower sheath because it is developed in the dark. To produce a vibrant orange flower in the spring, the flower bud must be developed in the dark by capping it. The cap is removed only 2 weeks before blooming in the spring. “Haruka” is an orange flower variety with a daffodil petal form with characteristics of a plum petal form. After snipped off the buds for the last 2 years, I am very excited to see this variety will rebloom for the 3rd time for me in the spring.
Cymbidium goeringii “Ikkyū”/日本春蘭「一休」has a green flower sheath. The flower bud is short, stubby, and round at the base compared to the other 3 varieties listed here. “Ikkyū” is a green flower variety with a plum petal form.
Cymbidium goeringii are all grown in East Asian Cymbidium Mix. All are grown in Toronto, Canada.

Haruka Halloween 2023.jpegIkkyuu Halloween 2023.jpegWan Zi Halloween 2023.jpegKourin Halloween 2023.jpeg

Latest posts

Back