Orchid Hoarders!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet people don't think you are a orchid hoarder since you all reduce the number of orchids you have! It is only a matter of time before your numbers get back up there!

Paphman910

why above? why not sink it 4ft into the ground? That would have to help cut heating costs. There's a commercial grower in Canada, if I remember right, Orchids in Our Tropics that does that. They have a height restriction so originally they did it for that reason. I'm kinda surprised that more in the northern regions don't do that, if I had it to do over, I'd do it in a heartbeat!
The person who gave me my first orchid had a small greenhouse like that -- built into the ground. I thought seriously about doing that, but it wasn't really feasible here.
I admit to being a hoarder as well with capital letters, as well.The 1st orchid was my mistake! From there the addiction just kept sky rocketing.Now over 620--- was 630 so you see I'm getting better.Not only that I'm have a couple of friends to come in (orchid executors lol) for when I pass away or get too feeble to look after them.They will sell to our society members etc.I can't bear to get rid of them before then.
That's one of my concerns, also. I've seen too many collections die from neglect, disease and bugs when their owner got ill or died.
I bet people don't think you are a orchid hoarder since you all reduce the number of orchids you have! It is only a matter of time before your numbers get back up there!

Paphman910
I'd bet on that!

also guilty of mildew mark in the basement grow room! just spent 3 days moving out all the plants to scrub down the walls/floors, remove the mildew with some chemical spray, and repaint the room with better mildew resistant paint. Seriously planning to reduce my collection by 50% next year, really running out of room and time!

Gee! Jorch! Come out of the closet and admit you are a Orchid Hoarder! I think a real Hoarder is someone who has too many things that they can't take care off! Like the Phal violacea alba that you sold me with scales!

Paphman910

Gee! Jorch! Come out of the closet and admit you are a Orchid Hoarder! I think a real Hoarder is someone who has too many things that they can't take care off! Like the Phal violacea alba that you sold me with scales!

Paphman910

Interesting! I never found scale on my paphs or phrags (or other plants) and just that loner Phal is infected? Well, thanks for letting me a year down the road :poke: You could've told me right after you got it in the mail!

Interesting! I never found scale on my paphs or phrags (or other plants) and just that loner Phal is infected? Well, thanks for letting me a year down the road :poke: You could've told me right after you got it in the mail!

How could I! You don't respond to any of my emails or PM!

Paphman910

Paphman910

Not really a big deal! Just a single plant and it could happen easily! You still haven't come out of the closet!:poke:

Paphman910

Paphman910

Not really a big deal! Just a single plant and it could happen easily! You still haven't come out of the closet!:poke:

Paphman910

You bought the plant in 2008, and I have been active on this forum the whole time, AND bought plants from you in the past 2 years. I'm hiding from you? Really?? OK, No need to hijack this thread. I'll PM you.

You bought the plant in 2008, and I have been active on this forum the whole time, AND bought plants from you in the past 2 years. I'm hiding from you? Really?? OK, No need to hijack this thread. I'll PM you.

Jorch! I owe you an apology, I think my email account may have had problems sending emails from different locations due to spam list or firewall! I am not trying to ruin your reputation and it is just a misunderstanding on my part!

Now the one million dollar question! Have you come out of the closet yet!

Paphman910

Boy, I really have a problem! I just got word that I received 2 orchid shipments today. One I knew about from Springwater and the other...:confused:
It turns out I had bought some phrags from Tom Kalina and forgotten about them. :p Only 2 more orders this month to go! :crazy:

Boy, I really have a problem! I just got word that I received 2 orchid shipments today. One I knew about from Springwater and the other...:confused:
It turns out I had bought some phrags from Tom Kalina and forgotten about them. :p Only 2 more orders this month to go! :crazy:

I have a problem myself! I'm at a crossroads.....either a future Orchid Hoarder or an Orchid Addict! Or both!:rollhappy:

Got to go to my much needed (Orchid) Meeting to get help!

Paphman910

I think that my living room and of NYEric's are alike now...lol... Since the unavailability of heat in the gh, I cannot leave them at night, so took them inside. Only some dendros and terrestrials remained outside...!

Paphman, I do not think there is a clear distinction between these terms, I am both definately!!! hehe :D:D

Where, really, will you place them???
Thre's always room for more orchids! :D

I have a problem myself! I'm at a crossroads.....either a future Orchid Hoarder or an Orchid Addict! Or both!:rollhappy:

Got to go to my much needed (Orchid) Meeting to get help!
Paphman910

Dont they sell/auction orchids at those meetings!? :poke:

orchid meetings usually always have raffle tables and sometimes people selling plants and supplies, unless a vendor is speaking in which case they usually are selling plants. also often a meeting or two a year involves an orchid auction of some kind. ... see what you've been missing?! the only 'help' someone will receive at a meeting, is someone ready to show someone else where they can find more orchids! :D

nyeric, i'm sure there are orchid people 'upstate' that would be happy to relieve you of some of your 'orchid overflow' :rollhappy: or rent out some space!

as a funny, there is a fellow club member who moved to connecticut for work, and then again to new jersey... most of his orchid collection is in the homes of fellow club members or orchid judges. he even received awards on some of his plants that have spent a few years in other's homes! soon he won't be able to remember what is where...

Latest posts

Back