Orchid Hoarders!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me! I grow paphs on the carpet.

img1291q.jpg

I used to be a hoarder but I am now cured. Went from a mixed collection of about 300 plants to less than 50 at the moment....all Paphs except for two. I kept the best of my Paphs and the rest have found new homes.

yes... went from zero to filling a 12 x 15 greenhouse with paphs in three years...but i am curtailing those expenditures to go back to school..so i can get a better paying job to afford a greenhouse 5 times as big...was going to post this in separate thread but might as well here
20111027140624.jpg

20111027140616.jpg

20111027140610.jpg

20111027140545.jpg

yes... went from zero to filling a 12 x 15 greenhouse with paphs in three years...but i am curtailing those expenditures to go back to school..so i can get a better paying job to afford a greenhouse 5 times as big

LOL! Oh, that's a hoot! I know exactly where you are coming from!

I grew in a 400 sq ft basement room with 9,000 watts of light. It got FULL!!!!! So, I built a 1440 sq ft greenhouse and moved out of the basement. A year later, I had to put the lights back on for the overflow of plants because the greenhouse was full! Eventually, I quit my job and started an orchid business because I was taking unpaid time off work to care for my plants! Now, I've got the lights off in the basement; but, I had to move all the non-orchid houseplants out of the greenhouse and into my family room for the winter because the greenhouse was too full! Plus, tonight I will be setting up one bench under lights in the basement again for my Disas to winter over.

I grew in a 400 sq ft basement room with 9,000 watts of light. It got FULL!!!!! So, I built a 1440 sq ft greenhouse and moved out of the basement. A year later, I had to put the lights back on for the overflow of plants because the greenhouse was full! Eventually, I quit my job and started an orchid business because I was taking unpaid time off work to care for my plants! Now, I've got the lights off in the basement; but, I had to move all the non-orchid houseplants out of the greenhouse and into my family room for the winter because the greenhouse was too full! Plus, tonight I will be setting up one bench under lights in the basement again for my Disas to winter over.

:rollhappy: :rollhappy: :rollhappy: OMG.. I hope I don't ever get to that stage.. :p

Paphman, define hoarding. Do you mean owning multiple clones of the same species/hybrid? In that case, Im a dend anosmum hoarder.. :)

One of the conditions for me to have a greenhouse was that I had to promise not to bring orchids into the house (to grow).

Me a hoarder??? Naw! :fight:

I can truthfully say I am no orchid hoarder. I decided early on that I would keep my collection manageable to ensure I have enough time to know and care for each of my plants. (horrible I know) I have about 75 plants right now, might get to 100 by spring, but I gave away/sold about 25 recently.

Still, I am sure neighbours wonder about the lights in the upstairs bedroom. And I regularly get told I am the only person people know with an "Orchid room" ;)

And I regularly get told I am the only person people know with an "Orchid room" ;)

Oh, there's a lot of people with an "orchid room", a "fish room", a "bird room", a "reptile room", a "violet room", etc. The problem is very few admit it. Most are "in the closet", because they think that they are the only one and nobody would understand the lengths to which they will take their particular obsession! LOL!:rollhappy:

I have an orchid room too. And I have too many plants. They're starting to spill over into other parts of the house. I think my husband is noticing. :D

I can truthfully say I am no orchid hoarder. I decided early on that I would keep my collection manageable to ensure I have enough time to know and care for each of my plants. (horrible I know) I have about 75 plants right now, might get to 100 by spring, but I gave away/sold about 25 recently.

I am envious of your discipline !

:rollhappy: :rollhappy: :rollhappy: OMG.. I hope I don't ever get to that stage.. :p

Paphman, define hoarding. Do you mean owning multiple clones of the same species/hybrid? In that case, Im a dend anosmum hoarder.. :)

I currently hiding in my dungeon deflasking a Paph species.....Paphiopedilum stonei! I am currently hoarding Paph stonei! .... finally admitted it and came out of the closet......I am a crazy nutty Paph stonei hoarder!:drool::drool::drool:

Paphman910

I currently hiding in my dungeon deflasking a Paph species.....Paphiopedilum stonei! I am currently hoarding Paph stonei! .... finally admitted it and came out of the closet......I am a crazy nutty Paph stonei hoarder!:drool::drool::drool:

Paphman910

that's great! i am a roth hoarder but i am adding stonei to the list as I have about 7 replates on order!

Latest posts

Back