Orchid Hoarders!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That must be tough to care for all of them , Eric.
I used to have about 700 counting all the seedling. they all look good for a while. Then a few bugs came with the new plants.
The whole collection going down hill ( before, the event, I only need to water them and they look good; now no matter what I do, they are in bad shape)
I can not take care of the orchids before take care of my own health.
So the collection down to about 100, with half of them medicinal orchids.
Many times I saw gorgeous orchids, yet I know if I get them with my current growing condition, they will suffer. So I can't.

damn Eric!!...uhhh..watering must be fun for ya!

funny what people will do with their passion, their is a guy in NYC who turned his entire apt into a conservatory for turtles..maybe it was frogs

I am wondering how the watering works as well. NYeric can't just hose everything.

I currently hiding in my dungeon deflasking a Paph species.....Paphiopedilum stonei! I am currently hoarding Paph stonei! .... finally admitted it and came out of the closet......I am a crazy nutty Paph stonei hoarder!:drool::drool::drool:

Paphman910

You're a sick man Paphman.:poke::poke: I think the only way to save yourself is to give me your dunkels':poke::poke:

I don't understand this hoarding thing. I have about 2 or so flasks worth of supardii seedlings, and feel completely normal about it:eek:

NYEric, I think you definitely have the best orchid collection in the whole of NY... :D I see tolumnias are doing great... And where's the big vanda in the bathroom? :poke:

Helen Hersch (Mt Pleasant Orchids) used to live in NY and had her apartment packed to the rafters too before moving out of town. But I bet she never kept sangii on the stove.:poke::poke:

Even the cat seems overwhelmed.;)

Actually Eric is also a cat hoarder, there are actually 79 cats in his apartment (hidden among the orchids).

Actually 78 since he recently dispatched the kitty that ate his Australian terrestrial bulbs.:sob:

Paphman, define hoarding. Do you mean owning multiple clones of the same species/hybrid? In that case, Im a dend anosmum hoarder.. :)

I kind of agree with Paphioboy on this one. A flask or two (or three:eek:) of a single species isn't hoarding.......

Unless you keep them all to blooming...........

And turn them all into specimen plants.....

Oh Oh I think I may be turning into a wardii hoarder:sob:

You know Leo has been awful quiet lately. I think he's a micranthum hoarder!

So the message I'm getting here, is that if you have lots of one thing, you're a hoarder; but if you have one of everything, you're not. I'm good with that. :D

Man! If it wasn't so late in the season, I'd place a new hoarder of phrags. :evil:
You should place an order with Orchidbabies before the phrags become unavailable!
Where else????

How about the bathroom, bedroom?

Paphman910
I have some plants hanging that I didn't post.

And where's the big vanda in the bathroom? :poke:
It's hiding in one of the photos! :D

Hien, I'm lucky that my room-mate doesn't work so her job is to water the plants. I also found a good cocktail to kill common pests, mealies and scale. That way I only have to do maintenance once a week to curb any problems. Once I get some lights i will expect to have better luck blooming things.

You all have Eric pegged wrong! He actually lives in the apartment next door! He rents a second apt for his plants:poke: He even furnish it to make the plants feel a home!

You all have Eric pegged wrong! He actually lives in the apartment next door! He rents a second apt for his plants:poke: He even furnish it to make the plants feel a home!

Yes that's actually the second apartment, but the furnishings (except for the stove) were originally brought in for the cats.

I was going to suggest that we define "hoarder" not as a specific number, but as a ratio of plants to available space...but then I thought of Eric and realized he'd still win! :)

OMG - that couldn't be me! (NOT) Those of you following my process of the last couple years recall the pictures of my flat prior to moving into the old greenhouse which is now filling up rapidly...

OMG - that couldn't be me! (NOT) Those of you following my process of the last couple years recall the pictures of my flat prior to moving into the old greenhouse which is now filling up rapidly...

Pretty funny! Always room for one more orchid!

Paphman910

Latest posts

Back