Orchid Hoarders!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to be really amused you should read some of the members' lists in the "collections" thread! :p

Could you actually compose a list of all your individual plants Eric? Just out of curiosity how many orchid inhabitants do you have?

Did you look in the collections thread? I haven't updated /revised the list but I still have most of the paphs and a lot of the phrags. I just got into collection other species. I estimate about 400, it may be more.

Did you look in the collections thread? I haven't updated /revised the list but I still have most of the paphs and a lot of the phrags. I just got into collection other species. I estimate about 400, it may be more.

Sorry, I don't typically look at the collections thread :( But its impressive that you can keep track of all those plants. I don't know I could!

Sometimes when my husband gets annoyed with my most recent orchid purchase, or the mess in the "orchid room" I show him pictures of your apartment. :poke::poke:

My Orchid Hoard

Here's my hoard. Mostly roths, but as you can see I grow a few other types of orchids too.

Grow-room...

Seedlings...

Some flowers...

Wowser! There are some wonderfully sick people here! :p :rollhappy:

I'm not an orchid hoarder (ahem, "no longer" might be a more appropriate way to phrase it). I have pitched, sold and given away more plants than I care to think about. I hoarded tags for many years too. Now I even get rid of all the old tags as I discover them stashed here and there amongst my supplies. I'm still having difficulty parting with many of the nicer pots which are now in disuse.

I still grow some very nice orchids. I have some nice African violets too. The number of plants I now own, however, is quite "respectable" :wink: and they all fit very comfortably within the confines and decor of my current residence. I must say it's much easier to care for this demurely-sized collection today than it was to care for my veritable jungle of bygone days. Freedom is a great thing! :clap:

I'm not an orchid hoarder (ahem, "no longer" might be a more appropriate way to phrase it). I have pitched, sold and given away more plants than I care to think about. I hoarded tags for many years too. Now I even get rid of all the old tags as I discover them stashed here and there amongst my supplies. I'm still having difficulty parting with many of the nicer pots which are now in disuse.

I still grow some very nice orchids. I have some nice African violets too. The number of plants I now own, however, is quite "respectable" :wink: and they all fit very comfortably within the confines and decor of my current residence. I must say it's much easier to care for this demurely-sized collection today than it was to care for my veritable jungle of bygone days. Freedom is a great thing! :clap:

LOL....I couldn't agree more. With limited time I find a smaller collection much easier to manage. :clap: If I get the itch to expand again I'll just gaze at the beauties posted on this forum.

how in the hell do you guys water? that must be pretty tedious...

LOL no, they are on shelves under lights.

Tim you're right, watering for indoor growers with lots of plants like me is definitely a pain. I have most of my plants in trays that I just carry outside to water. It's a couple hours of work each week.

LOL no, they are on shelves under lights.

Tim you're right, watering for indoor growers with lots of plants like me is definitely a pain. I have most of my plants in trays that I just carry outside to water. It's a couple hours of work each week.

I used to spend at least 20 hrs. per week watering my collection when it was still in the house on shelves and light stands. I used a three gallon sprayer with the misting nozzle removed to increase the flow of water. I would fill and haul that sprayer at least 15-20 times twice a week. Now, in the greenhouse, I hand water an even larger collection in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I still work at least 20-30 hours on my plants, but I now have all that extra time to catch up on potting, grooming, selling, trouble shooting, and just enjoying my plants.

I've also been able to try a wider variety of types, including mounted plants. Julie just took apart three compots of Sophronitis cernuas and mounted them all. If I was still in the house, I would be tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to deal with 30 new mounted plants that would need attention more than once a week. It's great to have the greenhouse and even greater to have a partner who shares my passion. Thanks for letting me ramble!:)

Dot, what is self-control?
Got me! -- I think it's something other people have...

often it involves certain key time periods with a lack of funds :)

if I could water and spray plants like we do at work (garden hose and dedicated chemical storage/mixing area), i'd probably have more
That's one of the strongest reasons for why I now have a greenhouse.:D

I used to spend at least 20 hrs. per week watering my collection when it was still in the house on shelves and light stands. I used a three gallon sprayer with the misting nozzle removed to increase the flow of water. I would fill and haul that sprayer at least 15-20 times twice a week. Now, in the greenhouse, I hand water an even larger collection in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I still work at least 20-30 hours on my plants, but I now have all that extra time to catch up on potting, grooming, selling, trouble shooting, and just enjoying my plants.

I've also been able to try a wider variety of types, including mounted plants. Julie just took apart three compots of Sophronitis cernuas and mounted them all. If I was still in the house, I would be tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to deal with 30 new mounted plants that would need attention more than once a week. It's great to have the greenhouse and even greater to have a partner who shares my passion. Thanks for letting me ramble!:)
I could have written that! (Except for the Julie part)

I'm wondering if anyone ever feels like they have too many plants to care for properly? This is always my concern with accumulating too many orchids.

With about 270 orchids, I don't consider myself a hoarder. At first when I moved to a new place, I went a bit crazy. But over the past two years, I calmed down and enjoyed my current collection and slowly add a few new plants.

Per week, it takes me about 2 hours to water my entire collection.

I'm wondering if anyone ever feels like they have too many plants to care for properly? This is always my concern with accumulating too many orchids.

yes, but more so after a few plants came in with mealybugs that haven't left yet, and a plant donated by a distant vendor came in with a weird leaf spot thing which has caused problems, and I don't like spraying chemicals in my apartment, or more to the point I don't have a ready place to fill up a spray tank, dump chemicals into tank and rinse out etc. makes life much more of a pain. is back yard, but now six dogs use the yard so can't sneak down and use water hose/chems, rinsing etc without leaving residue

Latest posts

Back