Orchid growing in 'Darkest Africa'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try and take a few more pics this weekend. Photography is realy not my strong point though. Thanks for the great welcome and positive comments.

Greenhouse birds

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As promised, a pic showing 2 of my Gouldian finches which nest in the hanging baskets. There are 9 of them at the moment, and although they can create havoc with buds (pink in particular for some reason), they add a different dimension to my growing area.:)

Another veiw of my greenhouse

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I need to do a bit of organising tomorrow. A cold glass of wine and 'stairway to heaven' playing in the background, should make it a pleasant Sunday task.:)

would laove to have this green house.

The couple looks not to bad of your birds, would love to have a greenhouse liek that.
Do the goulds not demage your plants???

More organizing??? This space looks very organized to me!

Beautiful birds. You have them flying freely in the greenhouse? How do you control where they poop?

The Gouldians fly around freely. I started with a range of other birds, but some were quite destructive. Catching them was not too easy as the greenhouse is 5m at its apex (water hose worked fine in the end). The Gouldians make quite good orchid companions, they pick out a bit of potting mix, and hunt nesting material. If they are supplied with appropriate material, they leave the plants alone. They do however target the dendrobium buds, especially the pink colors. What I can't control is where they poop, but I grow my paths for enjoyment not show, so I don't worry too much about a white mark here or there, the marks are easily cleaned when I bring the plants into the house when they flower.

Hello. I am a fellow physician. I am sorry to hear that you left medicine. Obama care destroyed my private practice about a year and a half ago. I am about to do some locum tenens work that may work into something permanent. I know it is tough fighting for reasonable patient care but we support each other at the hospital where I work and is it worth it. I too am bitten by the orchid bug. This is a very good forum to talk to. Dawn

Here is hoping that it works! At last I am trying to post a pic of my greenhouse.
ghfeb13001.jpg

Working???????:confused:

WOW!! Don't you want to send some slippers my way :p

Love the multifloral paph in the pic.:drool:
well done:clap:

As I said, a bit of an addiction. Biggest problem is finding the space for them in winter (cold and dry in johannesburg, below 15% humidity and below zero on many nights).:eek:

Usually only at society shows, but I do send out a e-mail availability list every now and then. If you PM me your e-mail I will add you to my mailing list.

do you grow the little ones under the bench all the time?

Only the mottle seedlings. They seem to like the slightly darker environment (Real reason is I ran out of space some time ago, I am trying to figure out how to expand my greenhouse without building on my neighbours property):(

Latest posts

Back