Orchid growing in 'Darkest Africa'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about that rather dim question, quite obviously I have not read the mails I have been sent on the Paph Symposium. It is only now that I have noted that Dr TG is a key-note speaker at the symposium! (a very sheepish me!) What will you be talking on? or is that a dim question to be asking as well?

Welcome, Trithor!

When I had my greenhouse built, I didn't know for sure how bright it would be in there because of the triple-pane & double pane, low-e glass, But after the first summer, I decided it needed a little shading. Anything over the top was way more expensive than I could afford, so I hung 30% aluminet inside, under the glass but over the bars that hold the hanging plants. Works well.

thanks for the explanation, trithor, though I was just a little curious. sorry that you had to change from something that you probably loved, because of bureacracy (sp) and other issues not directly related to medicine. one of my housemates from college had always wanted to be a biology teacher, and was going to attend 4yr and then masters to achieve this. he first worked at a high school in an area that wasn't as 'nice' as the one he grew up in, and was always having to do bathroom cigarette duty and tons of other nonsense paperwork, with little time for teaching. when told that if he went to a college to teach, likely he would have to do some kind of research work and ta's would do a lot of the teaching, and he ended up going back to pharmacy school and being disallusioned (sp) quite a bit

it's tough if you plan on or find something that you really want to do, but find for whatever reason, that you aren't allowed or it doesn't happen that way

My day kind of ran away from me yesterday, so I did not get a chance to take any pictures. I am sure that most of you out there have the same problem getting into your growing area at midday. I will appologise in advance for my photography, it is certainly not a strong point of mine.:(

Hello and welcome Trithor!!!!

I have killed many paphs (they rot for many & various reasons... :( ), so do not feel that bad about yourself. Failure is something that can teach us how to achieve success, so it is a good thing ;)

Waiting for your pictures whenever you will be able to post them :D

I have recently been bitten by the "african bulbs" bug...! Do you grow any?

Hi Biothanasis,
I am currently away collecting seed from various flowering bulbs. We never harvest the actual plants/bulbs, but do collect seed. It obviously takes a while for the plants to develop and set bulbs, but it is a much more environmentally friendly way of doing things. I have a few exciting new varieties which we have never collected in the past, let us hope that we can entice germination next spring.
I am still struggling with my pictures, perhaps more success when I am back in town at my computer, I find an iPad fun, but not as easy as my home computer. Perhaps software related?
There were a number of paphs getting ready to open before I left, and look forward to my return and them hopefully being open......

Hi Trithor!!

I wish you are successfull with the seed germination... I have sown some seeds of various species, but did not have any success so far... :(

Have a great time!

Here is hoping that it works! At last I am trying to post a pic of my greenhouse.
ghfeb13001.jpg

Working???????:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed IMG tags on your link instead of URL -- that way it shows in the thread instead of having to click on the link and go to your site. Pretty growing space -- it looks so very neat and organized.

Thanks Dot,
Guess I need to try again with another slightly different pic of my growing area. This one with a Lady Isabel in the foreground.It is a first time flowering seedling which I purchaced 4 years ago. I have quite a few multi's, but they do not grow too well for me. I think I am too hot for them?:eek:

Wlecome from Quebec and the Great White North where we venture on slippy roads sometimes at great peril. :)

Back