new members ≠ learning and growing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just talking with an orchid club member of a distant orchid society. He was stating his frustration about many members of his club. It turns out that a good number came along to the orchid society after they had purchased cheap orchids at box stores and garden centers, and though they joined the club, they seemed to have no interest in learning to grow their plants; when they would stop blooming they just desired to toss the old plants and try to find new, cheap plants (instead of learning to grow what they had and move up to more 'interesting' orchids).

When the big stores started selling cheap orchids, it was hoped that these people would eventually seek to learn and grow in the hobby, and be productive members of their nearby societies. This would in turn help hobby orchid growers and societies gain new members and purchasers, and keep the hobby market growing or at least from failing in the U.S. . In this case, most of the new members had no interest in learning, they just wanted to find out where they could get more cheap plants.

I think it would be interesting to see other's insights into this situation, and what others here have seen in regards to box store orchids, new members and growing/learning members and older members who either do or don't come alongside the new members, and help them become new orchid addicts. If you've seen people in this situation, or you have experiences as a new member/old member and working with other members to grow in the hobby, I think it would be great if you could share your experiences/insights here.

thanks!
charles

i think the entire cheap orchid selling was designed to take advantage of a successful marketing scheme, people needing a quick fix and they tend to throw things away without much thought. Perfect for cheap orchids. An orchid society is more a social club than anything, and if people come there not feeling they want to socialize with geeky orchid enthusiasts, their interest wanes really quickly. I have friends who love their cheap orchids and freak out when the flowers drop but would never go to an orchid society meeting, or the ones i have brought , feel its not their thing..even though they want to learn how to grow their orchid (initially)..but often times that wanes really quickly too when they realize how slow these things grow. The internet has changed things too...and i dare say, is outcompeting the orchid societies for attention...in Seattle, the NWOS society used to have a big show at the our Northwest gardening show every year..but that has waned down also. I show my friends my greenhouse whenever i have a party or upon request ..it has encouraged some to think about hobbyist orchids but i think their priorities (in a recession) discourage any buying of those orchids that would require a longterm commitment..i bet if a study was done you would find that the purchase of cheap quick fix dept store orchids increases in recessions (along with chocolate, coffee, cheesecake, dvds, etc)

The internet has changed things too...and i dare say, is outcompeting the orchid societies for attention...

I agree 100%! The truly sad thing is that writing on the internet is like the writing on a public bathroom wall...largely erroneous compared to real infor available. An orchid society, for those who want to learn, is an invaluable resource for the area... I mean to say that culture information can vary depending on region. Orchid societies are great to learn how to grow in your area. The internet is largely responsible for the increasing introvertedness of our society... why go meet people face to face when you can lurk on the net and pretend to be someone else.

As far as box store orchids, they are designed to be throw aways. Some tags even say it outright, "Once it's out of bloom, just throw it away! Don't worry, we'll grow more!" That being said, if you are a savvy consumer, and grower, you can get some great plants for a ridiculously cheap price at the box stores.

I hope and pray that this is just a passing trend in our hobby. Things in life tend to be cyclical. But, I'm not holding my breath, just adapting to the changing market and paradigm.

The stores that sell Phals around here are turning more and more to the artificially colored ones -- and that company is putting their dye into Phals with color and coming up with colors that are, well, not natural. If that is the trend, then I don't see much hope for getting people who buy these interested in joining a society. If they do bloom again, their owners will be disappointed and either throw them away and buy new ones, or give up on orchids.

Its not all bad. I would have never found orchids had I not picked up a generic store phal from the trash bin @ our local grocery store (yes, I got into orchids through garbage picking!!)
Some people will turn around and ask questions and some will have no interest.

It annoys me that these beautiful plants are being propagated full of virus' and without names...and that people seem to think I want their old ones!!!!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Several garden clubs have visited my greenhouse and I find that most of them just aren't really interested. It's just something to do that's new. The visitors are often disappointed that every orchid isn't in bloom and don't want to listen to why they aren't. I think the learning curve is the problem. Most people don't want to do the
reading and research or put up with that ugly ole humidifier or try to understand anything for that matter.
And it ain't just orchids.

I think abax is right about the learning curve. IMHO that's what turns people off. Of course every now and then someone gets converted, like we all did. You never know when lightning will strike.

In the words of Yogi Berra:

If people don't want to come to the ballpark how are you going to stop them? :)

I am one of those people who initially had one single Phal that rebloomed several times for me before I got interested in which other orchids would like that same kitchen counter spot's light and temps. When I found that Paphs filled the bill, after killing my first with too much water, I began to gather real momentum. I finally got the the San Francisco Orchid Society after a number of months of ardent "lurking" online, and the rest is history! I may be a bit different from the usual beginner in that I have a lifelong history in plants in general. I hadn't been interested in orchids for most of my life because my impression was that the plants were ugly between blooming annually. That's probably one reason why Phals and Paphs appealed to me - the leaves are attractive between bloomings.
I do think that all of us have a big responsibility with our new members of societies, though. If they are quietly listening at their early meetings, not asking questions, seeming a bit shy, we need to ask them what questions are coming up for them and really tease out what stage they are in. "What's 'Cattleya light?' was one of my first...

I do think that all of us have a big responsibility with our new members of societies, though. If they are quietly listening at their early meetings, not asking questions, seeming a bit shy, we need to ask them what questions are coming up for them and really tease out what stage they are in. "What's 'Cattleya light?' was one of my first...

Yes! Exactly!
As someone who is relatively new to orchids this drives me mad!
I show up at all the meetings, I'm on the bloody executive and yet most people have no idea who I am. I MUST stick out since I am significantly younger than everyone else there, so I know I'm noticed.
Few people have bothered to ask what I'm interested in or share their experiences. Everyone keeps saying new blood is needed, but no one seems to want to invest in me.

Same thing with AOS. I've clerked for ribbon judging and rarely have I worked with judges who have taken the time to discuss their thoughts openly. I was however, fortunate to clerk with two judges this year who were very interested in me and I learned a lot.

Its one thing if new members just want to show up and see what its about, but don't actually want to learn about orchids, but to have a member like myself who is undoubtedly invested and interested in orchids go unnoticed is wrong.

We had been having the same problem with new member retention for a few years now. I am among the youngest members of our society and had amassed a modest, yet nice, collection before ever going to a meeting. I brought in 2 nice blooming plants to the first meeting, that obviously did not come from a big box store, and everyone welcomed me warmly. However, over the years now, I've seen many folks come and go. Most are big box store customers, like I first was, that come to a meeting or two and then never return. I don't think it's because they weren't interested in learning about orchids, I could see that they were fascinated by the show and tell plants, rather they were not made to feel welcome. It's hard to welcome new folks into a big group, it takes a group effort.

We discussed the issue at a meeting and come up with some solutions that have worked well thus far. First, we started having a new member appreciation meeting with a crash course program (filled with lots of nice pictures) on the basics of orchid growing after our annual show when we hadve the biggest influx on new members. Second, we acknowledged that we can be a bit uninviting and not everyone has the courage or social skills to break into a new group easily. After that, many of the long-time members have put in a real effort into at least introducing themselves to any visitors before the meeting or during the refreshments period after our program. I haven't ran the stats yet but I really think it's working.

I think it must be easier for a newbie to get assimilated if there are classes at the begining of the meeting for newbies. It breaks the tension and gets them familiar with some of the senior members. Not all of the groups do this, but its a good idea. I don't have a problem with walking into a room and being the annoying newcomer with lots of questions, but most people are shy and sit back, waiting to be included.

The other side of the coin is that in any group you will have people who show up just to get the lay of the land and don't stay long term. They decide that its just too much effort, or that its just not the right environment for them. You know the true orchid addict in the making by the drool and glazed eyes. Not everyone can have that kind of intensity.

My thought is make everyone feel welcome, and they will sort themselves out over time.

one nice thing that we started maybe a year or so ago, was the beginner's session before the regular meeting. it was heard from a few people who had come to meetings over a few years, that they would come to a meeting and nobody talked to them. they felt slighted, and didn't come back. that was/is unfortunate, because our club members as a whole are very friendly, but if you are used to seeing the same people you end up being in a routine. thus, they felt that people were 'unfriendly', which is definitely not the case.

we have also had people who were very good growers, but their personalities, though seemingly quite pleasant, were actually gritting their teeth while they were attending meetings. we have our share of orchid addicts, though they are regular members who have been around for a long time (poor mr. kot; over-run by his wife's orchid collection! :rollhappy: )

it's a strange thing that neighboring societies can have such different types of members... the rochester club to our west has a good number of people who are web and technology savvy, while I sometimes despair that anyone will ever make use of the resources available on our website and all that. also, the stos to our south in historical times has had many educational exhibits, but when I made my first native orchid display, there was only one other educational display, and that hasn't been up in years. hardly anyone also will post photographs in our show or on our website, though every phone and ipod has a camera in it..... finally our brave club president has posted some pictures (yay!)

also I know that our members excel at the refreshment-bringing and that ends up being a very nice draw to new members or visitors ;)

Dear Charles, while we're on the subject, I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Slll and it seems to have a decent camera. Now, sir, how do I get photos from my camera
to ST? My user's guide just arrived and I haven't had time to read and learn, but have taken a fair photo of one
of my blooming Paphs. I'd like to show off and get comments on the quality of the bloom. There's that learning curve again!

A lot of big box stores around here overprice common noid phals and catts. Not so much Walmart and Lowes but Hyvee, Home Depot, and florists do. I live 1.5 hours away from where the closest orchid society has their meetings and I am very shy so senior members getting to know new members would help a lot. And don't underestimate young orchid growers! :wink:

I don't belong to a local orchid society simply because I don't have the time to devote to it. I keep hoping that some day I'll join, but that probably won't be until after I retire. In the meanwhile, I'm known as the 'orchid guy' at work because I bring my blooming plants into the office for all to enjoy. I've managed to get a couple people interested in growing their own orchids in the process. I frequently get asked questions regarding their care. Some of these people buy plants at the big box stores because they are affordable. If they lose them, they're not out too much. My brother Ted is one of those people who always keeps a blooming Phalenopsis on his coffee table. He used to toss them out once they're out of bloom. Now he puts them out on the terrace and saves them for me to take home. They're mostly NoID plants, but I'm fine with that.

In the meanwhile, I'm known as the 'orchid guy' at work because I bring my blooming plants into the office for all to enjoy.

that is a nice idea

a bunch of years ago I brought some of my flowering plants (mostly some rarer phal species at the time) to where I work, and many of the people there don't speak english as their primary language, and many don't speak much of it as any language...), showing them to get them interested and show the flowers. later in the day I went into the utility room where I had the box with my orchids, right next to the break room, and over half of the plants were gone! I was quite irritated and started wandering around finding the people I had showed my plants to, and found that they thought I was giving them away and each took some :fight: I got them all back, and didn't do too much show and tell after that :eek:

abax, I don't have a smart phone, so have never tried down or uploading from one of them. if you can get the pictures onto your computer, then there are instructions I think at the beginning of the different pictures pages about using imageshack to upload to. with digital cameras, usually if you plug them into your computer with a usb cable, the computer has software that sees your camera and asks if you want to download pictures, then asks for a place on the computer to put them. I haven't used imageshack, so don't know how to use it

Latest posts

Back