New Greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had to improvise on shading until i receive the aluminet 70 %...but this scenario works really well...its just ghetto looking..the wood is there to prevent direct light on the seedlings with our occasional seattle morning sun
20110608144838.jpg

fan, humidifier and reservoir.. seedling corner
20110608145213.jpg

seedling wall , south facing..its 100 % shade right now ..so ambient light only
20110608141027.jpg

west facing wall (has natural shade from trees and fence
20110608141034.jpg

North facing wall, no shade . perfect for adult plants and receives morning light from east side wall (in seattle morning sun stays low and its usually cloudy until the clouds burn off around ten to noon ..so no shading needed except where seedlings are (first pic of wall of wood)
20110608141046.jpg

Well, you have it full of really healthy plants for sure. I wonder about its stability in a really big storm though. I remember clearly some of my less sturdy greenhouse experiments in Florida ending up in the neighbor's yard :rollhappy:

well, i am more worried about the apple tree falling on it than it being torn apart in a storm..we dont get the storms you get in florida (i lived there through hurricane season once) and it has natural wind breakers from all sides except the east side..we had some 30 mph gusts the other day and you wouldnt have even known it was windy from the inside (pat myself on the back)...that said ..it being plastic i worry more about the plastic breaking down in the sun...but we dont get much sun here..soooooooo

well, i waited too long to cover greenhouse with polycarbonate and woke up to the outer layer of 6ml sheered off by the windstorm we had today (i should have at least replaced the 6ml before because the sun over the summer made it brittle)...the inner layer was fine and the skeleton is fine but i had to replace the outer layer with new plastic...i was supposed to skin it with polycarbonate but have been putting off ordering the materials ...soooo, i get to treat myself to a belated xmas present...(240 square feet of 6ml polycarbonate)

I hope you get it up fast -- didn't you folks in Seattle have a bad snow storm last year???

yeah...which lessens the odds it will happen this year (la nina or something like that)..its doubtful we will get any snow this year...but of course you never know

yeah...which lessens the odds it will happen this year (la nina or something like that)..its doubtful we will get any snow this year...but of course you never know

I think I remember hearing people say something like that before we got all those blizzards a few years ago.

I think I remember hearing people say something like that before we got all those blizzards a few years ago.

well, seattle has more predictable weather patterns than the east coast ( i grew up in Va)...and we rarely get snow...and it usually happens in a La Nina year (2010, 2008 , 1999...were the last three times we had significant snowfall, all La Nina years)...wind is more of an issue during winter (40 mph gusts) and can be counted on a few times

How many times have the police stopped by at night! :poke:

if you are referring to the light...it only runs from 8 am to 4pm...i do think i would get in trouble if i had it on at night...as far as suspicion of pot grwoing..we actually have a law in seattle that makes marijuana offenses a low priority for the police (except in school zones). of course people still get busted for growing...but only if the police accidentally come upon an operation..they arent looking for anything here..usually, the only time cops bust someone is if they are being ratted out by another dealer looking for a lighter sentence

will probably expand shelf to perimeter of five foot height (but only one foot wide)..want to start growing other things ..the current shelf (30 inches wide) you see supports some rapiculous laelias as well some odds and ends, as well as providing cover for heaters from dripping ...one of the drawbacks to using pvc arches is i cant really connect shelving to the structure (the greenhouse flexes quite a bit in the wind), so will have to be free standing shelves.
photo-45.JPG

the ceiling you see is just clear window insulation plastic to give some extra insulation...lowers ceiling from 10 to 6 feet, i estimate it loosely translates into 5 to 7 degrees (Fahrenheit) difference...i have one heater on (with thermostat) all the time and the lower backup (no thermostat) comes on from 8pm to 8 am (medium setting)..this heating setup costs me about 4 to five dollars a day (keeping min 60 F) in seattle winter

Looks great and all those seedlings look awesome. Is the structure well anchored for any storms?

Looks great and all those seedlings look awesome. Is the structure well anchored for any storms?

the skeleton and inner layer of plastic are well anchored,it flexes a bit but its part of the design.. we had a wind storm come through the other day that tore apart the outer layer (which i should have replaced anyway, it was brittle and coming apart from the sun over the summer)...lesson learned..ordering 6 ml polycarbonate to skin it

Latest posts

Back