New Greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had an idea for wind stabilization.Using heavy treated 4 x 6's around the perimeter in one layer. then piping rope through each arch piping secured to the wooden base. also pipe rope through the two top horizontal pipes...and crossing the rope to the bases inside the greenhouse to create lateral stabilization...might work..nylon rope?

had an idea for wind stabilization.Using heavy treated 4 x 6's around the perimeter in one layer. then piping rope through each arch piping secured to the wooden base. also pipe rope through the two top horizontal pipes...and crossing the rope to the bases inside the greenhouse to create lateral stabilization...might work..nylon rope?

Probably, running ropes into the gh may be pretty short term as things like to rot in high humidity environments. Maybe instead of rope you could run some big U bolts throught he walls to secure the wood.

As mention previously I made a short knee wall of railroad tie to suround the frame, and didn't tie the GH to the wall at all. Working with stacked landscape timbers or cinder block may accomplish the same thing. Also my system used a series of rebar pins pounded into the ground that went up about a foot into the pipe in the corners of the frame. You might try something similar that would be like big tent pins on strategic points pounded into the ground.

Probably, running ropes into the gh may be pretty short term as things like to rot in high humidity environments. Maybe instead of rope you could run some big U bolts throught he walls to secure the wood.

As mention previously I made a short knee wall of railroad tie to suround the frame, and didn't tie the GH to the wall at all. Working with stacked landscape timbers or cinder block may accomplish the same thing. Also my system used a series of rebar pins pounded into the ground that went up about a foot into the pipe in the corners of the frame. You might try something similar that would be like big tent pins on strategic points pounded into the ground.

i was thinking that yellow plastic roping (nylon?)...no option for anything pounded into ground, building greenhouse on basketball court cement..landlord would not be happy about that.and i dont want ropes out side the greenhouse..will see, its a work in progress

Last edited:
bought the rope with highest resistance to mold/mildew, sunlight etc etc etc..will see.
nylon/poly rope (124 lb, 1/4 inch) rope piped through arches ..rope ends will connect to 4x4 heavy wood providing vertical and lateral support in one direction
20110520133424.jpg

rope through horizontal pipe which will criss cross inside the greenhouse and connect to corners, providing lateral support perpendicular to arch ropes
20110520133410.jpg

frame is done (except for some random screws)...its pretty tough ...the arches are still responsive in the middle but the polycarbonate should take care of that...i shook it pretty hard for a minute and it stayed together...its grounded too, so its not moving or shifting at the base...next is the 6 ML for insulation and then then the polycarbonate (and then shading of course)
20110526145346.jpg

I've been tempted to build one like that off the back of my house, but the hurricanes that blow through here every few years scare me out of it. I'm on a hill and that is the exposed side of the house over looking a broad valley. The other side is protected by the small ridge line. Hurricanes tend to track northeast and as they exit the trailing winds change direction and wallop everything on that side...scary when that happens!

Good luck with your project.

A couple of Sumo wrestlers sitting on the bottom bars should do the trick. :poke:

A couple of Sumo wrestlers sitting on the bottom bars should do the trick. :poke:

:rollhappy:

I used a few large rocks on my shade-house bottom bars. Worked fine for several years, until the structure got metal fatigue and blew over in a strong wind, luckily after my plants were out by then!

outer layer of 6ML..secured with plastic strips and self tapping screws..inner layer soon...polycarbonate will have to wait until sept..cost overruns, but we dont get storms until late sept so i should be good

door, ventilation and shading next

20110529195924.jpg

20110529195956.jpg

20110529200036.jpg

20110529200056.jpg

Shaping up really well Ehanes. When I had similar structure, I hang light weight steel mesh along the sides, as well as the end, which gave more stability and rigidness. But it also gave me place to hang. But that was with GWI pipe frame. It might work with your PVC structure. Just see how it will take the extra weight

Shaping up really well Ehanes. When I had similar structure, I hang light weight steel mesh along the sides, as well as the end, which gave more stability and rigidness. But it also gave me place to hang. But that was with GWI pipe frame. It might work with your PVC structure. Just see how it will take the extra weight

im not sure what you mean

Tie light weight steel mesh (say 2 feet wide by the length of your GH) along the side of your structure to each of the PVC poles, about 4-5 feet from the ground. And then across the rear end. Just an idea to strengthen and give more rigidness to your structure.

Tie light weight steel mesh (say 2 feet wide by the length of your GH) along the side of your structure to each of the PVC poles, about 4-5 feet from the ground. And then across the rear end. Just an idea to strengthen and give more rigidness to your structure.

oh right..got it..thanks

Ehanes, you do not need to buy expensive/new building material. I got my off cut steel mesh from our local steel fabricator and used to carry a lot of mesh any size/thickness for a small fraction of the new ones. Some you can use to make your bench as well.
By the way are you making windows as well?? Good luck.

Ehanes, you do not need to buy expensive/new building material. I got my off cut steel mesh from our local steel fabricator and used to carry a lot of mesh any size/thickness for a small fraction of the new ones. Some you can use to make your bench as well.
By the way are you making windows as well?? Good luck.

thanks for the advice but i am looking to keep as much metal out of the greenhouse as possible

and now for the inside

this is why i love pvc piping..anyway , once this is webbed through the ceiling it should provide me with ample opportunity for hanging plants

20110601133140.jpg

20110601131621.jpg

Latest posts

Back