New Greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redesigned interior with shelving... (will move seedlings (on the right lower side) under upper wood shelf as we get sunnier days).the idea for this was to create some more insulation by maximizing space ..and less volume to heat...in the process of building a plastic 'wrap' 3 feet in on the north/south sides that will be one continuous sheet as a ceiling too (bubble within a bubble)...liking the aesthetic also..

photo-70.JPG

photo-69.JPG

photo-68.JPG

i just cant live with this pvc monster anymore..its an eyesore..taking presidents day to tear it down and build a new one...out of pressure treated wood...8 x 12 base with slant roof ten feet to six feet ..maybe use the pvc to rig up some irrigation system (that should be enlightening)...(this is why i build orchids, so i can build structures and rearrange)

I think your better off going with cedar or redwood(preferably no heart wood) the new pressure treated woods don't take to weathering well and they twist, bow and crack like crazy. Price is about the same.

I think your better off going with cedar or redwood(preferably no heart wood) the new pressure treated woods don't take to weathering well and they twist, bow and crack like crazy. Price is about the same.

The west coast must be wood country,because when I built mine a few years ago the prices were much different.

pressure treated will be fine as long,and last a very long time. It will just take you some time to dig through the piles for the good pieces,or you could have a lumber yard special order you what you need.

actually meant to say construction grade (perforated) ...they said it would weather better...and i use some on the current GH and seems to hold up well

The west coast must be wood country,because when I built mine a few years ago the prices were much different.

pressure treated will be fine as long,and last a very long time. It will just take you some time to dig through the piles for the good pieces,or you could have a lumber yard special order you what you need.

Here in San Diego, it about .30-50 cents more per BF for redwood then treated. Pine does all kinds of things as it dries. CA has made it expensive because of the chemicals in the wood. They have also changed to chemical to treat the wood so only last about 5 years or so.

I'm not saying it a bad choose and won't last....

Just my 2 cents......

Latest posts

Back