• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

My first Ebay plant sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your ad looks good.
One suggestion for next time is to alter the title to increase exposure to buyers.

Ebay's search engine focuses on keywords in the title and not the description. So if you want someone that does a search for "orchids" to find your plant you need to have the word orchid in the title. Same if someone is searching for "plants" they won't find your sale from the word "seedling" that you used, but if someone does a search for "seedling plants" they will find you.

You are limited to the amount of charactors you can use in the title so you want to make each letter add to the keyword value.

Your title as written used 48 spaces....

Paphiopedilum venustum var measurianum (seedling)

As written there are only 2 main key words:
1. Paphiopedilum
2. seedling

The title could be written as follows...

Paph venustum SPECIES orchid plant seedling

This version uses only 43 spaces and has 5 main keywords:
1. Paph
2. Species
3. orchid
4. plant
5. seedling

Characters like ( , ! # * & all do nothing to help as kewords for a search.

Remember that if someone does not find your title when they do a search they won't ever see your well written, grammar perfect title. That is the reason you see so many poorly written titles on Ebay sales, not because the sellers are illiterate.

That is brilliant, thank you for helping. I have a few more to add onto Ebay if this one goes well so that helps a lot.......hopefully.

It might be wise to give consideration to the end time of the auction. For items that I think will sell within Australia, I end the auctions between 8-9.30pm AEST Sunday.
Another “general” fee saver is to take a short video of the item/s, upload to YouTube and embed in the auction. This works well for the items I sell, otherwise I would have to have 6 plus pics. I’m sure eBay will stop this at some time as it cuts them out of fees but its good for now.
Regards, Mick

What else do you have ready for sale? I don't have an Ebay/paypal account, but might be interested.

Excellent comments all around - I also will need your advice, Lance, when I finally get ready to put something on EBay. QuietAustralian, you comments about ends of auctions are also helpful.

Nice seedling, too!

Another “general” fee saver is to take a short video of the item/s, upload to YouTube and embed in the auction. This works well for the items I sell, otherwise I would have to have 6 plus pics.

I usually upload multiple photos to an image hosting site like photobucket and embed the image links into the item description. Is there any advantage that you see in using a youtube slideshow rather than remotely hosted photo files?

Latest posts

Back