My Very First Blooming Roth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello from Virginia! I’ve been hanging out here and absorbing pearls of wisdom for a couple of months but hesitated to post due to my inexperience.
However…for several years I really wanted a rothschildianum and read everything I could find on them-including here. About five months ago I had a bit of a health scare (turned out fine in the end), and decided I refused to go to my grave without trying to bloom a roth. So, in a fit of passion I ordered four-and received five as a bonus.
At the end of July, I was watering my plants and was stunned to see a tiny little striped bud emerging from one of the plants! It is now in full bloom! It is the plant’s first bloom and there is only one flower but I am in seventh heaven! I simply had to come out of my shell and share it with the only people who can possibly understand my excitement. My family and friends have tried hard but I’ve seen their sideways glances at each other.
I know it isn’t the biggest or the best-and I am no photographer, but here it is!

Attachments

• IMG_8519.jpeg
    IMG_8519.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8520.jpeg
    IMG_8520.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8524.jpeg
    IMG_8524.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
People without a hobby, without a passion, are missing something in their lives.
You have found a passion, an interest, a love of Paphiopedilum rothschildianum. That is just fantastic!!!
The World Of Orchids is a pleasant place to be. Congratulations! It is a wonderful thing to experience. Stick with it. We are here to share, advise, to celebrate with you, to help you to grow and nurture your passion.

So happy you found us!!!🥰
Continued success.

People without a hobby, without a passion, are missing something in their lives.
You have found a passion, an interest, a love of Paphiopedilum rothschildianum. That is just fantastic!!!
The World Of Orchids is a pleasant place to be. Congratulations! It is a wonderful thing to experience. Stick with it. We are here to share, advise, to celebrate with you, to help you to grow and nurture your passion.

So happy you found us!!!🥰
Continued success.
Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! It’s good to here 🥰

Congrats! Always exciting to see a roth in bloom. It looks like it tried to push a second bud, but it didn’t fully develop. The leaves look nice and healthy, so I’m sure once it’s fully settled into your conditions you’ll get even more flowers in the future.

Congrats! Always exciting to see a roth in bloom. It looks like it tried to push a second bud, but it didn’t fully develop. The leaves look nice and healthy, so I’m sure once it’s fully settled into your conditions you’ll get even more flowers in the future.
Thank you! Yes, it looked like that little bud was going to turn into something but then it just flattened out. The one flower is quite enough to have me on cloud nine-this time around 😅. Hoping to keep it healthy and happy and sharing its progress in the future.

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Are you growing these under lights, windowsill?
Thank you! This forum has been a wonderful resource and such a joy to find people so passionate about orchids. I’ve been growing on windowsills during the cold months then out on my deck in the warmer season. But this winter I really started running out of appropriate windowsill space. So while the plants are having their summer holiday outside I’ve been buying a couple of large shelves and lights to prepare for the cold season this year. My youngest just moved to an apartment so I now have a room to house everything. This will be a new experience for me and I’m really looking forward to it!

Latest posts

Back