Hello from North Carolina

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hope

Reaction score
I live in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina. I first fell in love with orchids after becoming acquainted with the local cypripediums. I got my first paph ( a green and white maudiae hybrid) in 2007, but didn't really discover their diversity and get excited about them until about 5 years ago. I especially love any with a beautiful pattern on the leaves, long spiraled petals, or spotted and reticulated patterns. My favorite section is parvisepalum. I also grow a variety of other plants, including gesneriads, which I've been trying a little hybridizing with.

Oh boy! Western North Carolina, such a beautiful area. My parents retired to Hendersonville in 1983. I visited several times and would always work in a visit to Owens Orchids in Brevard I think it was, Just fantastic. Welcome!!!

Yes, I have fond memories of visiting NC. You make me very jealous to be close to Chimney Rock, the Pisgah National Forest with ‘sliding rock’ and the Biltmore Estate.
Sometimes I swear my butt still is sore from sliding down the waterway!

I feel completely spoiled to be here around so much natural beauty! You'll just have to come up with an excuse to come out this way again sometime.

I feel completely spoiled to be here around so much natural beauty! You'll just have to come up with an excuse to come out this way again sometime.
I used to get out that way a lot on business - there was a glass plant in Hendersonville that made baby food bottles for the nearby Gerber plant, but that was a l-o-n-g time ago! I always visited Owens Orchids when in the area.

My wife and I scored a week in Banner Elk as an anniversary present that's coming up soon.

It sure is a pretty area of the country.

My parents finally got too old essentially to be on their own so they, with my sister’s family, moved to 96 SC. That place was just so very different.
Mom and Dad have long since passed but my Sis is still in SC and I go every Thanksgiving. Back when I was in college, there would be 23 of us at my grandmothers for Thanksgiving on Long Island. Last year it was 5! But I am going to be a Grand Uncle next month so we will move to 6!! Yahoo!

It sure is a pretty area of the country.

My parents finally got too old essentially to be on their own so they, with my sister’s family, moved to 96 SC. That place was just so very different.
Mom and Dad have long since passed but my Sis is still in SC and I go every Thanksgiving. Back when I was in college, there would be 23 of us at my grandmothers for Thanksgiving on Long Island. Last year it was 5! But I am going to be a Grand Uncle next month so we will move to 6!! Yahoo!
Big923cattleya, It's sad how families sometimes get smaller over time. It's good you and your sister are still close. I think it's important to treasure those relationships.

I used to get out that way a lot on business - there was a glass plant in Hendersonville that made baby food bottles for the nearby Gerber plant, but that was a l-o-n-g time ago! I always visited Owens Orchids when in the area.

My wife and I scored a week in Banner Elk as an anniversary present that's coming up soon.
Ray, I know Banner Elk! I drive thorough that area sometimes to visit family. You picked a great spot to go on your anniversary vacation. I hope you and your wife have a great time!

Welcome from the west coast of Canada! I've been to Asheville several times and did all the mandatory touristy things while there. I particularly enjoyed the Biltmore Estate.

lori.b
Did you ever skid your rump down ‘Sliding Rock’ in the Pisgah National Forest?!?!? If you did, you would say to yourself, “Why did I just do that!?”
What a thrill! Sliding on a butt in cold water running over a long group of boulders at who knows what speed to an 8’ deep plunge pool at the bottom. It was addictive and my butt has not been the same since 1983! That’s when I first tried it and what outright fun! You can’t tell if people are screaming in excitement, fear or for the fact your butt goes on one heck of a ride!

And yes, I never missed an opportunity to do it again!

lori.b
Did you ever skid your rump down ‘Sliding Rock’ in the Pisgah National Forest?!?!? If you did, you would say to yourself, “Why did I just do that!?”
What a thrill! Sliding on a butt in cold water running over a long group of boulders at who knows what speed to an 8’ deep plunge pool at the bottom. It was addictive and my butt has not been the same since 1983! That’s when I first tried it and what outright fun! You can’t tell if people are screaming in excitement, fear or for the fact your butt goes on one heck of a ride!

And yes, I never missed an opportunity to do it again!
LOL, somehow the friends I visited managed to not take us to slide our butts down a rock at breakneck speed. I wonder how they could have forgotten to do something like that????

Latest posts

Back