Hello from the South-coast of Finnland.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I`ve grown orchids since the seventies. I have grown many species and hybrids, but now I grow some Cattleyas, Laelias and their hybrids. Also, I like the smaller ones, like rock laelias, but I have always loved Paphiopedilums, also Phragmipedium. I like most plants from the Brachypetalum-, Parvisepalum- and Polyantha-Section. I should also get one Mexipedium next spring. I do have one Coelogyne, two Brassia, one Cuitlauzina pulchella and two Euchile and one Encyclia. Also, a few Phalaenopsis. Some orchid plant families or species change names so often that is almost impossible to know which is the latest or right one. Sometimes one wonders that is it necessary, really. I have also killed many orchids for different happenings, but this last decade I had so much work and far too long days, so especially I did not have time or energy to water them oft enough. But now the situation is different and have more time and try to take good care of my collection. I grew orchids earlier in the greenhouse, but now I grow them on windowsills. Hope to read and get some good advice on how to grow my plants and perhaps I can help someone else. Nice to hear from people who understand and love growing orchids as I do.
I do also have a garden, where I have also many specialities for this high up in the North. I have also several hardy orchid species and hybrids. I wish everyone success and lots of fine flowers for the year 2023!
PS. Sorry, for my bad English writing, I hope you`ll forgive me.

Hello from Copenhagen- or should I say: Hyvää päivää?! 🙂

This is about the only Finnish, I know - apart from: Jos terva, ja viina, ja sauna ei auta, on tauti kuolemaksi! For the benefit of of all the other non-Finnish speakers: If tar, liquor or sauna do not help, the illness is fatal!
This idiom to me - from my experience with all the nice Fins, I've had the pleasure to know over the years - pretty much sums up the Finish national character as well as Finish humour!

Welcome aboard fellow northener!

Best regards,
Jens, Copenhagen

Last edited:
At first to HairBear73 in Scotland, the land of Highland Cattle with long and sharp horns. From Aberdeen, mostly black, sometimes red (Canada) coloured Aberdeen Angus cattle without horns. Thank you. Good to hear you also like Parvi`s and Brachypetalums and that you grow also on windowsills. 👏
I have ordered garden plants from Edrom Nurseries (just once), but several times from Kevock Garden Plants. But after Brexit, unfortunately, no can do anymore. I looked at their pages a week ago and there were some interesting plants I have been searching for. 😭

Then thank you and hello to NYC Erik. How is the weather there now?

Hello to Copenhagen or Hyvää päivää eller God dag! Terva, viina ja sauna..., that was good. I speak and write Swedish almost as well as Finnish and Danish are quite easy to read and understand, but when you speak it`s not so easy to follow. 🤭 I hope I don`t hurt your feelings! I noticed when we looked at some Danish series or Frank at Kastanjegården that you use the letter k as we do and not as in the Swedish language.
So, best regards to you too Jens, fellow northerner! 😃

Thank you DrLeslieEe 🤗
Yes, the NATO. Without Turkey and Its leader, who wants to use this situation to "milk" benefits for Turkey and Hungary's leader, who has sympathies towards Russia and needs their oil, we would be members already. NM. We won't be discussing that matter further. 😤

Do any of you people know anything about Finland🤔
Has anyone heard or listened to a Finnish sinfonic metal band called Nightwish 🤔

Latest posts

Back