My entire Paph collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nooooooooo! I just discovered that Elsner has PEoY but near blooming size instead of reaching blooming size in 3-4 years! :sob:

I hate it when I'm hasty... :mad:

Oh well, today my helenae and one of the superbiens were uprooted, packaged, and are now awaiting shipment. The helenae hadn't grown one bit - its root system looked exactly like it did when I got it... That's one Paph that really didn't like me... The superbiens on the other hand, had started with the whole "big, fat roots gig" that my MK started. I think they like the seaweed extract these guys. :)

Now I'm choosing between a Paph. schosceri, Paph. helenae, and a Paph. Asendorfer Gigant, OR a Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' and a Paph. Claire de Lune (which would be my first alba and it's absolutely gorgeous)... I really need to decide which vendor I should order from... :confused:

You have an impressive list of Paphs! I did not see P. druryi don't you like it? :poke:
Thanks! :D
Nah, it's okay, but it's not one of the "must haves". To be honest, I think Paph. druryi would be something for my friend, she loves it when they're yellow, she has a thing for Paph. insigne as well. :)

Peoy you should ask at Assendorfer he had one for offer on eBay not long ago, which was bloomsize.
He often get crosses and if he knows it, he can tell you, when he gad a collection or come across one bloom sized plant.
And at least he is the breeder of one of your crosses.
Claire the lune i heard that Popow had some spikeing one for sale.

Claire de Lune seems to be almost all over Europe right now, so getting one won't be a problem. :)

I keep forgetting that some of the vendors are active on eBay too, I'll ask him about PEoY and whether he'll get one of these in BS soon, otherwise I think I'll actually buy the one Elsner has and see which one of my PEoY will bloom first. :rollhappy:

Oh, and I think I've had a change of heart regarding Asendorfer Gigant and have decided to wait until a Chiu Hua Dancer appears instead, since I like the colour better on the latter. :drool:

Do you like Paph randsii? My plant is about 10 inches leafspan and Sam told me that it can flower at that size if it puts out a new growth.

Paphman910

Wee, two little roths and one baby gardineri from Sam will be added to my collection by the end of September! Woot! :rollhappy:

Do you like Paph randsii? My plant is about 10 inches leafspan and Sam told me that it can flower at that size if it puts out a new growth.

Paphman910
Hmm... Not my taste, not enough colour I feel, stonei is better in comparison. But I do hope you manage to bloom yours soon though, that would be great, right? :D

Nice. Mine will arrive tomorrow. I sent you a PM. Can yo check your inbox please?

Alright! My newest Paphs arrived yesterday and they seem to be in an excellent condition so far, but I haven't checked their roots yet which I'll do when I repot them.

Here they are:

First out is my Paph henryanum that I bought to replace my sulky helenae that refused to do anything. I had expected a plant with slightly bigger leaves than a helenae, but this guy came with a leaf span of 30 cm (12"), NOT what I had expected at all in other words:
247051.orig.jpg

Next Paph is my Paph Pandion (venustum x fairrieanum) that, according to Schwerter's website, should have had a leaf span of 12-15cm (5"-6") but mine is twice that size. The leaves are just as gorgeous as on a venustum:
247052.orig.jpg

And, finally, my other little primary hybrid, Paph Prince Edward of York (roth x sanderianum). Again, the website said it would come with a leaf span of approximately 10 cm (4") but it came with a leaf span of 27 cm (10.something") instead! Talk about getting more than one payed for. ;) :
247053.orig.jpg

So this is my entire Paph collection (I've made some changes to the names of some of the crosses since I've apparently misnamed some of them:

Subgenus Sigmatopetalum:
Paph. appletonianum
Paph. argus
Paph. barbatum var. nigritum
Paph. bundtii
Paph. callosum var. sublaeve
Paph. ceramense or cerveranum
Paph. ciliolare
Paph. hainanense
Paph. lawrenceanum 'Graue' BM/DOG
Paph. mastersianum
Paph. purpuratum
Paph. robinsonii
Paph. sukhakulii 'Graue'
Paph. superbiens
Paph. superbiens var. curtisii
Paph. tonsum var. cupreum
Paph. urbanianum
Paph. venustum
Paph. violascens
Paph. wardii 'Darkwing' x self

Subgenus Paphiopedilum:
Paph. fairrieanum 'Dawlish Warren' x self (I'm very uncertain about this name but it looks like this is what the tag says)
Paph. gratrixianum
Paph. henryanum (NEW)
Paph. villosum

Subgenus Polyantha:
Paph. roebelenii
Paph. rothschildianum 'Big Garden' x 'Lark' FCC/AOS
Paph. rothschildianum 'Mont Milais' x self (although I seriously doubt that)
Paph. rothschildianum 'Starship' x self

Subgenus Parvisepalum (what's this one doing here, huh, huuh, huuuh?):
Paph. malipoense 'Giant' x self

Primary hybrids:
Paph. Ashburtoniae (barbatum x insigne)
Paph. Maudiae (callosum x lawrenceanum) Vinicolor 'Schwarze Madonna'
Paph. Michael Koopowitz (philippinense x sanderianum)
Paph. Pandion (venustum x fairrieanum) (NEW)
Paph. Prine Edward of York (rothschildianum x sanderianum) (NEW)

Some things I've noticed about my plants, especially those that have been here for a while, are:

My acclaimed roth 'MM' x self is growing very well. Its newest leaf has doubled in size in a rather short amount of time and I really look forward to seeing how long it'll get.

My unhealthy roth has actually grown its newest leaf a bit too! I'm shocked!

My violascens has actually started growing while my mastersianum is still sulking.

My malipoense has actually grown a lot with its newest leaf (it has doubled in size).

My callosum var. sublaeve has exploded with new growths; four of them. This is a happy camper because it has a root system to go with the new growths. :)

My villosum has also grown a lot and has decided that six unbloomed fans are not enough and has started on a seventh... :p

My barbatum var. nigritum and my Maudiae are both suffering from the aftereffects of standing too wet and has some yellowing leaves.

All in all, most of my Paphs are doing fine to okay and three are not overly happy, but only the roth of these three might be dying (I hope at least). I really enjoy being a Paph owner, which you might have been able to tell considering how rapidly my collection has grown, :wink: and I'll probaly have to sell some more Phals later on to be able to fit more Paphs into my apartment. Or I'll just get a bigger place to live. :D

Subgenus Parvisepalum (what's this one doing here, huh, huuh, huuuh?):

I really enjoy being a Paph owner, which you might have been able to tell considering how rapidly my collection has grown, :wink: and I'll probaly have to sell some more Phals later on to be able to fit more Paphs into my apartment. :D

Both are indicators of hidden wisdom! :poke:

Darn, now I've done it. I couldn't resist and just HAD to have a Paph. Clair de Lune... So now I've ordered one and I also plan to order a helenae and a schoseri from Asendorfer as a last purchase before it gets too cold, this despite the fact that the PEoY, henryanum, and Pandion were supposed to be the last ones, but since everybody is showing of their cutie pies (helenae), I have to have one as well. I'm weak against peer pressure! :sob:

I had plans on including a lowii with the schoseri and helenae, but I realized that with my two roths and my gardineri coming from Sam, there's just no room for any more multifloras. :(

I noticed something great today too, my little roth 'Starship' x self that I got from Asendorfer is slowly but surely growing! I thought this little guy was still sulking, but after comparing photos taken when I got it and the plant today, I realized its newest leaf has actually grown. Yay! :clap: I love me little roths! :smitten:

You do realize that indoor toilets are the most significant improvements to domiciles in 300 years! :)
Still doesn't mean I want to pee in my orchids! :rollhappy:

Discovered today that my purpuratum is growing a new fan! Yay! :clap:

And my little malipoense is growing a new leaf! Woot! Go little toilette! :D

You will love the little helens, barbis are cuties also. :)
I know, they're little darlings. :smitten: And I do love my barbatas (if only my wardii could hurry up and open its flower already). :D

Here are my latest arrivals!

First out is my only alba and my only complex hybrid, Clair de Lune 'Edgard van Belle':
8050908921_4efee55d52_z.jpg

Second is my little gardineri 'Red Star' x 'Red Dragon':
8050899964_d31e55268e_z.jpg

Then the largest of the new roths, 'Oriental Red' x 'MM':
8050895013_bc327acd2b_z.jpg

Finally, the smaller of the roths, 'Jim Crull' x 'Canadian Club':
8050894463_fd13e7d4e4_z.jpg

Subgenus Sigmatopetalum:
Paph. appletonianum
Paph. argus
Paph. barbatum var. nigritum
Paph. bundtii
Paph. callosum var. sublaeve
Paph. ceramense or cerveranum
Paph. ciliolare
Paph. hainanense
Paph. lawrenceanum 'Graue' BM/DOG
Paph. mastersianum
Paph. purpuratum
Paph. robinsonii
Paph. sukhakulii 'Graue'
Paph. superbiens
Paph. superbiens var. curtisii
Paph. tonsum var. cupreum
Paph. urbanianum
Paph. venustum
Paph. violascens
Paph. wardii 'Darkwing' x self

Subgenus Paphiopedilum:
Paph. fairrieanum 'Dawlish Warren' x self (I'm very uncertain about this name but it looks like this is what the tag says)
Paph. gratrixianum
Paph. henryanum
Paph. villosum

Subgenus Polyantha:
Paph. gardineri x sib 'Red Star' x 'Red Dragon' (NEW)
Paph. roebelenii
Paph. rothschildianum 'Big Garden' x 'Lark' FCC/AOS
Paph. rothschildianum x sib 'Jim Crull' FCC/AOS x 'Canadian Club' GM/JOGA (NEW)
Paph. rothschildianum 'Mont Miliais' x self
(although I seriously doubt that)
Paph. rothschildianum x sib 'Oriental Red' x 'Mont Miliais' FCC/AOS (NEW)
Paph. rothschildianum 'Starship' x self

Subgenus Parvisepalum
(what's this one doing here, huh, huuh, huuuh?):

Primary hybrids:

Paph. Ashburtoniae (barbatum x insigne)
Paph. Maudiae (callosum x lawrenceanum) Vinicolor 'Schwarze Madonna'
Paph. Michael Koopowitz (philippinense x sanderianum)
Paph. Pandion (venustum x fairrieanum)
Paph. Prine Edward of York (rothschildianum x sanderianum)

Complex Hybrid
Clair de Lune 'Edgard van Belle' FCC/AOS (NEW)

Latest posts

Back