My entire Paph collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! The leaves are beautiful! What is leafspan of the roth you have? Does it have a new growth starting?

Paphman910
They're gorgeous, aren't they? This is the good thing about the Sigmatopetalum subgenus, the Paphs are beautiful both in and out of bloom. :D

Let me see now, the leaf span is about 14" (35,5cm) + 12.5" (31,5cm) (this leaf was cut back when I got it, and due to the cut tip being brown, I cut it back some more and treated it with cinnamon), so it's approximately 26.5" (67cm) and the roth has some little root nubs growing as well as some sort of "lump"/"swelling" which could turn out to another root or maybe fan. Only time can tell which it will be. :)

The MK does actually have an ever greater leafspan with 19.5" (49,5cm) + 18" (46cm) = 37.5" (95cm) but it looks smaller since the leaves are bent.

They're gorgeous, aren't they? This is the good thing about the Sigmatopetalum subgenus, the Paphs are beautiful both in and out of bloom. :D

Let me see now, the leaf span is about 14" (35,5cm) + 12.5" (31,5cm) (this leaf was cut back when I got it, and due to the cut tip being brown, I cut it back some more and treated it with cinnamon), so it's approximately 26.5" (67cm) and the roth has some little root nubs growing as well as some sort of "lump"/"swelling" which could turn out to another root or maybe fan. Only time can tell which it will be. :)

The MK does actually have an ever greater leafspan with 19.5" (49,5cm) + 18" (46cm) = 37.5" (95cm) but it looks smaller since the leaves are bent.

I agree they are absolutely beautiful! I hope the swelling on the roth turns out to be new growth! At that size, it is probably 1-2 from flowering!

The MK looks gynomorous!:drool::drool::drool:

Paphman910

the roebelinii is nice! However, the colouration of the paph superbiens seems to be different. Nor sure if superbiens or var curtisii has different foliage.

I agree they are absolutely beautiful! I hope the swelling on the roth turns out to be new growth! At that size, it is probably 1-2 from flowering!

The MK looks gynomorous!:drool::drool::drool:

Paphman910
Interesting to note is that both the roth and the MK were sold as BS:ed plants which was why they were so darn expensive. But I suppose that instead having to wait 5-7 years for a possible blooming, 1-2 years are nothing. ;) Let's see if I can get any of them to bloom in the first place or if it'll turn out that my two supportive lights aren't enough (they're sharing two of these with the robelenii, I figured two of these bulbs wouldn't harm the Paphs and I hope I'm right). I'm waiting for the K-lite I've ordered from Ray to arrive too (probably some weeks left) which hopefully should give them an even better chance to grow even bigger and healthier. In the meantime they'll only be fed seaweed extract to encourage some root growth which they're in desperate need of.

It is! It's humongous and dwarfs all of my other Paphs. I mean, I thought the reobelenii was big but compared to the roth and the MK it's really not that much. :rollhappy: And the MK has the smallest root system of all three of my multifloras. It's potted in a 4.25" pot and if I've had a smaller pot, I would have used that one instead. It was recently imported from Taiwan so it hadn't established itself at Schwerter's and this is probably why its root system is so poor. On a positive note though is the fact that it has a new leaf growing despite the other new one not being finished, and that this previous newest leaf has perked up since the MK was being unpacked and repotted this Friday. I think it'll be safe to remove the skewer I've used to support it soon. :D

Oh, and another good thing, but this time regarding my roebelenii; it had some root nubs protruding from the base of the newest fan when I repotted it, and I covered them with some sphagnum that I've tried to keep moist as to prevent them from dying. I was still a bit worried that the amount of salt buildups would be too much and kill the nubs anyway, but this doesn't seem to be the case; they're growing! Wee! :clap:

the roebelinii is nice! However, the colouration of the paph superbiens seems to be different. Nor sure if superbiens or var curtisii has different foliage.
And it's GROWING! I'm so happy! :D

Interesting. The one to the left is from a Swedish vendor and the one to the right was a freebie from Popow. The one from Popow is probably planing on blooming, so I suppose we'll be able to see if I have two superbiens or two superbiens var. curtisii. :)

The superbiens are not v. curtsii. The color and pattern are different. Search thru the threads here to see what I mean. :)
Will do! I've no idea what the differences between the ordinary superbiens and the var. curtsii are, I'm just happy that one of my superbiens (whichever variety or no variety it might be ;) ) might bloom. :D

Birthday Paphs!

A bit belated, but anyway, they arrived today (although minus the masterianum since Asendorfer are experiencing some problems with their website)!

As what seems to be the norm with Asendorfer, the Paphs were very well packaged and of high quality, they all look so healthy and I'm very pleased with them. :D

Here they are, my wardii 'Darkwing' (I'm so glad eggshells told me abut wardii having a beautiful foliage - they do), my tonsum var. cupreum, my tiny little argus, and the unknown bundtii:
242164.orig.jpg

And Asendorfer being Asendorfer I got two (!) bonus plants, a malipoense 'Giant' (darn, now I've got a toilet Paph despite my dislike for them... Good thing though, its foliage is gorgeous so all I have to do is keep it from blooming :wink: ), and a fairrieanum 'Graue' SM/DOG - this guy will be one heck of a challenge for this windowsill grower I feel, I might have better luck with getting the roth to bloom...:sob:
242165.orig.jpg

So, here's my updated collection:

Subgenus Sigmatopetalum:
Paph. appletonianum
Paph. argus (NEW)
Paph. barbatum var. nigritum
Paph. bundtii (NEW)
Paph. callosum var. sublaeve
Paph. ceramense or cerveranum
Paph. ciliolare
Paph. hainanense
Paph. lawrenceanum 'Graue' BM/DOG
Paph. purpuratum
Paph. robinsonii
Paph. superbiens (I have two of this one, am going to sell one of them)
Paph. tonsum var. cupreum (NEW)
Paph. urbanianum
Paph. venustum
Paph. wardii 'Darkwing' (NEW)

Subgenus Paphiopedilum:
Paph. fairrieanum 'Graue' SM/DOG (NEW)
Paph. gratrixianum
Paph. helenae
Paph. villosum

Subgenus Polyantha:
Paph. roebelenii
Paph. rothschildianum 'Big Garden' x 'Lark' FCC/AOS

Subgenus Parvisepalum (what's this one doing here, huh, huuh, huuuh?)
Paph. malipoense (NEW)

Hybrid:
Paph. Maudiae Vinicolor 'Schwarze Madonna'
Paph. Michael Koopowitz

If they're given to me for free, I'll accept them and wait until they bloom, if they are as...as... I don't want to write "ugly" 'cause that's insulting... as not my cup of tea as they appear to be in the pictures I've seen of them, than I'll sell them I think. ;)

Who knows, maybe the malipoense will grow on me? I can't get rid of it since I got it from my favourite vendor, now can I? So it's a keeper in other words whether I like it or not. :p

If they're given to me for free, I'll accept them and wait until they bloom, if they are as...as... I don't want to write "ugly" 'cause that's insulting... as not my cup of tea as they appear to be in the pictures I've seen of them, than I'll sell them I think. ;)

Who knows, maybe the malipoense will grow on me? I can't get rid of it since I got it from my favourite vendor, now can I? So it's a keeper in other words whether I like it or not. :p

A better word than "ugly" is "BS" AKA .... "Big S******":poke::rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Paphman910

Your collection is great! if you were a little closer, I sure take the malipoense and the fairre of your hands. They happen to be 2 of my favorites

Your collection is great! if you were a little closer, I sure take the malipoense and the fairre of your hands. They happen to be 2 of my favorites

So, as Luxembourg is closer ... :) ...., and as I like malipo and fairrie too ..!? Jean

Thanks! I'm very proud of my small collection which has grown quite rapidly... The fairriaenum is definitely a keeper since I've figured out how to give it some lower temperatures, so this little baby ain't going nowhere. :evil:

So, as Luxembourg is closer ... :) ...., and as I like malipo and fairrie too ..!? Jean
Hehe, we'll see what I think about Mr. Toilet Paph when it blooms, if I still don't like it, then it might get a new home in Luxembourg. ;)

Another foliage paph that you might be interested in is paph sukhakulii.
That's one that I've been looking at a lot and haven't made up my mind about yet. Asendorfer has some very nice ones of this species too, and since I must order at least once more to get my masterianum, it's not impossible that a sukhakulii might join the order. :D

These "toilet bowls" have nice fragrance! :poke:
*snigger*
It doesn't help if they look like... Well, you all know what I'm trying to say right. ;) :rollhappy:

YES! *punches air*

I just won an old primary cross in an auction, a Paph Ashburtoniae (barbarum x insigne) that was just too gorgeous to resist. :D

Man, I really suck at this "no buying more Paphs" in case no one has noticed... :p

YES! *punches air*

I just won an old primary cross in an auction, a Paph Ashburtoniae (barbarum x insigne) that was just too gorgeous to resist. :D

Man, I really suck at this "no buying more Paphs" in case no one has noticed... :p

Sounds like you like us orchid addicts with a bit of hoarding problem!:poke:

Paphman910

Sounds like you like us orchid addicts with a bit of hoarding problem!:poke:

Paphman910
Who? Me? Hoarding problem? I've no idea what you're talking about. *whistling innocently*

Interesting to note is that I've never had any sort of hoarding problem before, it started with the Paphs, hmm...

The trick is to make a list to get the plants in a group order or at a good show. :eek:
The problem with my list is that it gets longer the more Paphs species/hybrids i find... I hope there will be a Paph group order next year at the Swedish orchid forum since I didn't dare to join this year and now I really regret it. :sob:

Latest posts

Back