My Blooming Pinguicula

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can these plants be propagated by leaf cutting like certain Begonias and African Violets??

Tell me more, please!

I can certainly divide. It has divided itself into six or seven now.

I have mine sitting on my windowsill haha, not too much humidity here either, though if you're uncomfortable with risking the whole plant you could always do a leaf pulling or a division

Yes, Wendy, pings.
Does it have to be rather a fresh new leaf?
And where do new plantlets form? Along the edge or near the cut cute as in AV??
And how long a wait? 2 months?? I think that's how long my AV took.

Yes, Wendy, pings.
Does it have to be rather a fresh new leaf?
And where do new plantlets form? Along the edge or near the cut cute as in AV??
And how long a wait? 2 months?? I think that's how long my AV took.

No but you'll have a higher success rate with newer leaves. The new plantlet will form where it was previously attached. I wouldn't cut the leaf, instead I'd pull a leaf off.
It can take up to two months, sometimes more sometimes less depending on the conditions

No but you'll have a higher success rate with newer leaves. The new plantlet will form where it was previously attached. I wouldn't cut the leaf, instead I'd pull a leaf off.
It can take up to two months, sometimes more sometimes less depending on the conditions

This ^^^

Btw, do you have red leafed variety?
Some are not as nicely colored.
Do you know if that is affected by environmental factor or is it individual difference?

Btw, do you have red leafed variety?
Some are not as nicely colored.
Do you know if that is affected by environmental factor or is it individual difference?
Most can get reddish, pink, etc leaves, just give them more light

Thank you, Gilda!

I guess I'll go buy a big bag ( only one size at HD but cheap lol) of AV mix soon.
With peat moss, it should work well. It basically looks like what it is already growing in.

A couple of weeks ago, two smaller growths fell off when I accidentally hit them.
Good thing that happened because the roots of these were basically up in the air, and wouldn't have lived too long that way.

Now they are potted up individually.
One in s mall pot to give away, and one in a larger pot to stay and so I don't have to bother repotting for a long time. lol

didn't have any good mix handy, so I just used sphagnum moss.

vF8lPN8l.jpg

sfDUqBFl.jpg

Mexican pings may not do too well in lfs because it's too wet

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Are these Mexican??
These came with no name, but someone once suggested that this maybe a hybrid of this tropical species that starts with m. can't remember.
morenesis or something. lol

I'll keep my eye on it.
I may be better off buying something to plant them in.
At least one of them, which was in better conditions to begin with, is looking great sending up flowers and leaves. The other one, not so much.

Yes, these are considered Mexican Pinguicula

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

An Update

So it has been about two months.
The mother plant just loves to divide herself into more pieces.
Now it is made of about 14 growths.
I notice the flower size is about half as big, which is strange.

One of the little division is in bloom as well.

I kinda miss when this plant was just one big piece with wide flat leaves.

3bXPlckl.jpg

pZg9AKLl.jpg

By the way, I don't see fungus gnats any more in the growing area.
I wonder if I need to catch little insects outside and stick them on the leaves, or should I begin to fertilize lightly??

I have not seen any bugs on the leaves for a long time now, and getting a bit worried.

If they aren't getting any nutrients then some Pinguicula do start losing size, what you could do is dilute some orchid fertilizer to maybe 1/4 strength and put some drops on the leaves, but try it on only one leaf first because they can be pretty sensitive and burn if it's too strong

I actually tried very light fertilization once last month because there has been no bugs on the leaves for very long time.

It is just so hard to find small enough insect for these, and I'm not sure if I really want to go outside looking for small bugs for this plant.
Or go to a petstore and buy a little jar of fruit flies, but then I'm afraid of losing them in the air once I open the jar. lol

Back