My Blooming Pinguicula

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is about the happiest plant under the T8 set up at the moment. :)
I don't know what variety this is, but it does very well for me, obviously.

A small plant without any flowers was given to me by Glen Decker three years ago when I bought a lot of paphs from him.
It grew and grew, and divided itself into many pieces, some of which I have pinched off and gave away.
It is now 7 growths plant in the same pot. I should probably change the potting mix. lol

It seems once it starts to flower, it stays in bloom for good portion of the year. Each flower lasts for a long time, and the plant continues on making more and more.

ping_zpsvuqabgos.jpg

ping1_zpsscltr0xn.jpg

Glad to see there are other CP growers on here! I'd say it's either P. moranensis or one of the many moranensis hybrids that are commonly available. Nonetheless, it's a very pretty plant!

The leaves are not that thick, but not paper thin either. :)
The leaf surface has this secretion during the warmer months where little bugs land and get digested.

Cute! I used to have a bunch of these in my masdie tank. They kept it insect free. Very useful plants.

Indeed, Wendy!
When I first had this plant, it was just covered with fungus gnats!
Now the bugs are getting share and seem to avoid. Still the population is way down. I'm thinking of buying some miniature ping to place in between some pots. lol

By the way, anyone grows red leafed ping?
I saw pictures of them showing carton degree of redness and that made me wonder if thee color is seasonal or individual difference or what. I would be disappointed if they don't stay red all the time.

Very nice... Used to have a ping primuliflora that was very vigorous and threw 'keikis' from many of the leaf tips. Suddenly lost it when the sphag decayed. They don't seem to like sour medium. Neps do much better for me than Pings at this moment.. :eek:

Very nice... Used to have a ping primuliflora that was very vigorous and threw 'keikis' from many of the leaf tips. Suddenly lost it when the sphag decayed. They don't seem to like sour medium. Neps do much better for me than Pings at this moment.. :eek:

Mine has been growing in the same pot, and your story worries me.

I might need to repot this into a fresh mix, but I am still wondering what would be best mix for this plant.
Right now, it looks like it is in peat moss plus sand.

That would be fantastic!

I love Iris!!! :smitten:

German Iris, Dutch Iris, Siberian Iris are my favorites, but I like them all! :)

I'm not sure on the scientific name, but the deep blue flowered Iris that grows all over in Korea, and I assume they grow wild in Japan as well, are Siberian Iris?

I loved it so much as a kid that I took one huge chunk from a colony in the field and planted it in my garden. lol
Then I moved it to my grandma's backyard.
I wonder where it went when my grandma moved away.

Mine has been growing in the same pot, and your story worries me.

I might need to repot this into a fresh mix, but I am still wondering what would be best mix for this plant.
Right now, it looks like it is in peat moss plus sand.
Your Pinguicula and primuliflora are very different culture wise
As for repotting, it's pretty simple really, you can actually grow them just on a piece of porous rock (lava or tufa etc) with the rock sitting in water if you're feeling adventurous

Where would I get such a large piece of porous rock to have this thing sit on? lol

I prefer it in a pot. It is much easier for me to care for it that way.
If I had a high humidity growing conditions, I would definitely try on rock and other stuff for fun, though.

As for repotting, it's pretty simple really, you can actually grow them just on a piece of porous rock (lava or tufa etc) with the rock sitting in water if you're feeling adventurous

I've seen your photos of this and it is quite beautiful when grown this way. No messy dirty water from the soil spilling out of the pot. I have been looking for larger pieces of lava rock myself since I saw a photo of your setup.

Where would I get such a large piece of porous rock to have this thing sit on? lol

I prefer it in a pot. It is much easier for me to care for it that way.
If I had a high humidity growing conditions, I would definitely try on rock and other stuff for fun, though.
I have mine sitting on my windowsill haha, not too much humidity here either, though if you're uncomfortable with risking the whole plant you could always do a leaf pulling or a division

I've seen your photos of this and it is quite beautiful when grown this way. No messy dirty water from the soil spilling out of the pot. I have been looking for larger pieces of lava rock myself since I saw a photo of your setup.
I'm glad you like them :)
I don't know where most people get them but I got some pretty big chunks at an aquarium supply store though I've been looking for tufa for a while

Latest posts

Back