Laelia lundii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I've had this for many years. It struggled for a long time. Then, I mounted it on a stone held in the roots of a white cedar and I finaly got a bloom in 2010.

Now, 4 years later, it's really happy and blooming much better than ever before. I kept it at the cool end of the greenhouse, which was very cold most of the winter because of the long, severe cold spells we had. It loved the cold and multiplied profusely. Some of the lead bulbs made as many as 3 new ones! It's growing on a piece of white cedar root (which had grown around a stone in the soil. You can see the stone in the 2010 photo), mounted to a 12" x 12" (approximately), piece of barn board. Once it got established on the stone, the roots were very happy to continue growing and attaching themselves to the wood as well.

I find that if the flowers get wet, they die very quickly. However, they last a few weeks if I'm careful and only spritz the roots while keeping the flowers dry.

32781.jpg

32782.jpg

32783.jpg

Back in 2010
32784.jpg

Stunning John. I love the 2nd last photo showimg the whole plant. I tlooks like a bonsai plant. Really pretty flowers as well. That is an amazing growth rate. You have obviously got the culture perfect.

Thank you everyone! I think I've had this plant for about 20 years. I can't remember where I got it. The poor thing really struggled for most of those 20 years. Then, it was severly damaged in the big freeze of 2008. In early 2009, I tried something new and mounted it onto the stone. I kept it in a shady spot over the summer until it got established and then in the autumn of 2009, I moved it to the coldest and brightest spot in the greenhouse. You can see the sickly old growths that were what I mounted onto the stone.....and the new healthy one that grew after it was mounted. It has liked the cold climate in the S.W. corner of the greenhouse and grown well, as you can see. I now firmly believe that cold winter nights are crucial to keep this species happy and get a good blooming. This past winter was especially cold (that back corner went down into the mid 40's F on many nights) and for the first time, some of the blooming growths had 2 flowers, not just 1.

Oh wow! That's really something John!!
Thanks for the comparison photo too.
That mount is a display in and of itself.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Excuse me while I wipe the drool on the keyboard. This is nice and Lady MacBeth said it. Very nice presentation.

Absolutely gorgeous, John! Beautiful specimen and one of the nicest naturalistic presentations I've seen. Thanks for the before-and-after shots, too. I resolve to grow my lundii better, it does okay but clearly not living up to the species' potential...

Thanks again everyone!

Rick, I water the whole thing (plant/stump/barn board), thoroughly every time I mist or water the greenhouse. In the winter, I would miss plenty of days; sometimes 4 or 5 in a row. In the summer, it gets soaked every day; but, just once.

Back