Je Suis Paris‬!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
France is sad and gloomy because of all that, but life has continued ...

This year I decided to spent the holidays in the US and I welcome it because I hope myself relax a little.

I'm very sad for you french folk that lost family members and loved ones over there. Nathalie, I can tell you that in the us anybody carring an assault rifle would most likely get taken away by some thugs, don't think they would pass up a chance for a free gun lol...

You will be most welcome in the U.S. Nathalie, especially
in Kentucky should you decide to see the Appalachia Mountains. In my youth, I rode a bicycle all over France
and had a wonderful time and ate so much good food. I'd
like to hope you'd have fun and relaxation here as I had
in France.

I celebrate Noel Decatur (TX) with friends and the first of the year in Santa Fe with other friends. I often travel to the USA. Thank you for your messages.

Thanks for the persons affected.

A friend lost 2 close co-workers of his office, and the son of a friend two friends of his, all in the shootings in the 10th and 11th. They are devastated.

19 nationalities are affected by the attacks here, it's not just a "french issue".

On my side I'm as ok and as safe as can be. Pfiuuu

Given what's happening in Bamako (Mali) today, a lot of other countries will be affected when it'll be over.

And these stupid leaders keep on saying stupid things comparing refugees to rabid dog. I will not even go on to Trump.
What we need is stricter gun control in this country, and these leaders are against any measure against gun control with cheap excuses in support of NRA.
Plus, in NYC we had at least one car accident related death each day since Halloween.
I don't see why they are not talking tighter speed control and more videos to discourage reckless drivers.
These are more manageable issues at hand, but no, they are busy to make the most out of these tragic events wasting time and tax dollars making up useless policies. Gosh!

Plus, in NYC we had at least one car accident related death each day since Halloween.
I don't see why they are not talking tighter speed control and more videos to discourage reckless drivers.
These are more manageable issues at hand, but no, they are busy to make the most out of these tragic events wasting time and tax dollars making up useless policies. Gosh!

Neil, you will be pleased to learn that there is a group called Transportation Alternatives (transalt.org I believe) who has been very active in working the NYC system to lower traffic related deaths and injuries because of unsafe and high speed drivers, and increased enforcement of laws already on the books. Clark and I rode our bikes a few years ago in a bike tour called the NYC century, hosted by the same organization. I believe there now are many places where the speed limit has been reduced to 25 mph. Also places with more red light cameras. Problem is you can have laws and not have them enforced. Recently the bus driver unon wanted to eliminate the culpability of drivers who hit and hurt or killed pedestrians who had the right of way. How outright ballsy and senseless can you get where you fight to eliminate punishment for being responsible for maiming or killing someone? Imagine how many tourists, city dwellers and children would be at risk in this situation? Life is quickly losing value all around the world, not just overseas

What we need is stricter gun control in this country, and these leaders are against any measure against gun control with cheap excuses in support of NRA.
!

I was just reading then that in the US in 2013 there were 33,169 deaths due to firearms and 84,258 non-fatal injuries. As horrendous as the terrorist attacks were in Paris, they are on a small scale relative to what goes on in the US. The US has far more to fear from their own citizens then from terrorists.

Last edited:
I was just reading then that in the US in 2013 there were 33,169 deaths due to firearms and 84,258 non-fatal injuries. As horrendous as the terrorist attacks were in Paris, they are on a small scale relative to what goes on in the US. The US has far more to fear from their own people rather then terrorists.
Amen, David.

How about mandatory 20 year prison sentences for anyone convicted of a felony using a firearm of any sort - handgun, hunting gun, etc. Once the word got out that sentencing was out of the hands of our liberal judicial system, gun related felonies would drop significantly. Do you think it would make a difference to felons if we had more restrictive gun laws?

It sounds on paper like it might help, but many deaths and injuries are from those who have illegal weapons, mostly handguns. If you could eliminate the 'illegal' or stolen weapons you may find no need in the U.S. for more 'gun control'. Though I would be happy to eliminate rapid fire weapons for the general public, if there were controlled facilities where they never left, I couldn't see the need for more legislation. Removing illegal pistols and such used in crimes has been impossible so far; if this can't be controlled by laws then what good would more laws do? Rampant death and injury do happen here true enough. And often innocent victims who happen to be near gang targets are a large number. Talking with Mexican workers I hear of areas in their original country where lots of crimes happen so they come here. ...and then they are held up for their pay checks in this country..,

Tom (and Charles) - You are right. Psychopaths won't be stopped by longer jail term kind of scare. They probably don't care or think that far, otherwise they would not get out there and shoot at innocent people.

Not the type you are thinking of, but cutting the easy access of guns.
It is so obvious. That is the big problem in America. So yes, more laws will put an end to it, or drop these unnecessary deaths by huge margin, trust me. It is proven. Just look around. That is how things are in other countries.

We keep seeing more and more of the same tragic events and the solution is easy. It never gets solved because NRA puts in tons of money to stay in business no matter what how many accidents happen.
You don't need guns. There are no Indians or wild animals trying to harm you like it was the case way back in time. Time change, things change, and rules change as well. It should change, but boy, aren't they persistent!

America is the only country where you see this kind of gun accidents among major developed or decent countries.
Western European countries (sure sometimes Islam extremists "bring in" weapon and do harm on Jewish community on rare occasions, nothing like America), Japan, South Korea where I'm from,,, you just don't hear about this kind of gun stories. Do you know why? Because basically no one sells or buys guns. You just don't need them.

People saying how you have to protect yourself by having private guns are delusional. That's why we have military and police to protect us. For the most part, they do great job in keeping us safe, too.

Little boy playing with parents' gun laying around the table, picking it up and shooting his brother or friend, young men going into a threater, school campus and shoot at people? These never happen in the countries I mentioned above.
Some people need to wake up and start thinking.
I again, mostly blame NRA and their dirty tactics and some politicians who back them.

Change the current situation where it is so easy to get a gun in this country. That's the only way. Until then, this gun shooting American craziness will never stop.

Happypaphy, I'm registered native "creek" tribe and you're statement there are no indians trying to kill you, if I remember right my family "native americans" were invaded by the english, french, spain, they were killed by the thousands, women, childeren, everybody, the land was worth killing babies for, I think everybody should know that

Troy- I didn't care to put in the whole details as I thought it was a common knowledge regarding who was already living in this land and who came over and did what. There is no controversy, I don't think. Everyone knows already!

What I wrote was just to demonstrate some examples of the historical need of gun (or other weapons) use for "the newly moved in"'s point of view as the discussion was about the gun problem in America, the modern time.

So I hope you did not get the wrong idea.

I actually enjoyed going with my father on the weekends for 3-4hrs. of trap and skeet.
When I was twelve, he would put me up on the line with all the adults.
I used a Belgium made Browning auto5. I think it is as old as I am.

You guys missed out....

Latest posts

Back