Irene

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiva

Reaction score
Wish you luck New York and other East Coasters. Irene looks like a very bad one. Hope everything turns out OK for you all.:eek:

thanks
it's gonna be my first hurricane (grew up midwest)
i'm a little freaked out and there's still a day and a half until it gets here

Be safe everyone, we are worried about you so stay in touch if you can.

Hang in there Guys and Gals! It won't be to,to bad (fingers crossed) As for NYEric, stay away from the windows and keep your pants rolled up. Park your car on the top of a parking garage.

I'm upstate & we are getting alot of rain allready, 1thunder & lightening storm!!!!!!! They say 10-15 inches possible. They might close bridges across Hudson river if winds get over 50mph. My girlfriend is stuck in Rhinebeck (NY), she is a home health aide & LPN. I hope everyone on East coast is & stays safe!!!

I just checked the forecast for my sister's families home in south orange nj and the winds are expected to be around 50-60 mph tomorrow with higher gusts and then 'calming' back down to 40 or 50 mph later that evening (yiikes). the national weather service forecast page for that area didn't even try to guess how much rain might fall...

On the local news they were saying for my area around 10 inches, it was a purple shade on their map on NBC. I don't have to woory about flood waters, just basement flooding. But alot of other areas will flood around me. I also worry about the winds as we are in the country nothing but trees..

I hope all of you here from near the coast are safe and sound. we have had so far just moderate rain and light wind though I know that will get heavier. I saw that the national weather service website stated the nyc metro and nj/conn area could get from five to twelve inches of rain. in coastal areas where there will be storm surge that will mean a ton of flooding especially in asphalt areas. I know east of here like albany and down in the catskills they have had a ton of rain. there will be major flooding over very wide areas, hope all stay home and stay away from fallen power lines and running floods!

update: at 2:30 pm a branch fell on a line nearby or transformer blew, so our power is out along with many others downstate and in eastern ny. national grid reports the power may be on as early as 'tomorrow morning'. yay... guess I better eat all that ice cream now...

Last edited:
Thanks. I worked at an evacuation center in Park Slope Bklyn this weekend and was the manager last night. I must say the Office of Emergency Management went all out with supplies. The most damage around that I see is from wind blowing out windows and some downed trees. When I get to work tomorrow I'll see what damage happened to the shore line.

P8272123.jpg

Supplies OME style. I wish someone had warned us we would have to get the stuff off the tractor trailers ourselves! :mad:
P8272121.jpg

Volunteer area at 10 PM

Irene is here too with very strong winds and driving rain. For a moment I thought a couple of my trees had been uprooted in the back. I went out to check and they're OK. It's just that they're bent so much by the wind that I couldn't see them anymore from my back windows. :eek:

Thanks. I worked at an evacuation center in Park Slope Bklyn this weekend and was the manager last night. I must say the Office of Emergency Management went all out with supplies. The most damage around that I see is from wind blowing out windows and some downed trees. When I get to work tomorrow I'll see what damage happened to the shore line.

:clap: good job Eric, bravo :clap: !!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back