Irene

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I worked at an evacuation center in Park Slope Bklyn this weekend and was the manager last night.....
:clap::clap: Great contribution! Hope there were lots, that was a BIG job that needed to happen in a matter of hours!

Irene is here too with very strong winds and driving rain....
reports indicated that winds were at 65mph when it hit NYC, are the winds sustaining after being on land that long?
Glad to hear your trees .... and house are OK!

Thanks Rose! It was a bit ugly for a while. Lots of plants outside were thrown off their shelves or hangers. I'll have a few plants to repot. So everything is ok and the trees are fine. I have a row of candle like poplars in the back and they sort of supported each other against the wind. :D

I hope Clarke and Chrissy are ok!

Thank you, and everyone, for your kind thoughts.

Just got our cable, phone, and internet back(all one vendor).

Some water in basement. 12ft. castor bean plants are shredded. No big deal.

We were outta town last week. Got home 2 am Friday. When the weather service was selling the storm a week ago, thought about putting plywood on front windows and doors. But, 65mph vs. the initial 100mph report, is day and night.

Hope everyone else made out as well!

Orchids have never looked better.

All is well here. I was stuck in Freehold, NJ for a wedding from Friday to Sunday. My girlfriend and I didn't get back until 7pm last night. No serious damage around our area aside from fallen branches. Also no break in electricity. My fish tank was good when I got home. I was so worried about Goldie. I hope everyone else on the east coast is ok.

Me, my dad, & girlfriend ( Heidi) survived.. Heidi lost her car to the flood waters in Rhinebeck. The car insurance won't cover it as we did not have collision on it.. Screw you any way they can!!!

So sorry to here about that Tom! Here in NYC, its seemed that the worst winds came yesterday afternoon. Hurricane was gone, patches of sun, but intense winds...not constant, but with really strong gusts. Seemed much worse than the winds keeping me awake all night (actually fell asleep when the hurricane itself finally arrived in the morning). My backyard neighbor's tree had a big branch snap in those later winds, but it didn't fall...stuck in the top branches. Not even sure if they are aware of it......

The pictures on the news tonight gave a small indication of what this storm did. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as the forecasters thought -- this was bad enough. I'm sad about the damage everyone experienced, but happy you are all OK.

Surprisingly, the worst of the flooding was upstate and New England, especially Vermont. Everybody anticipated flooding in the coastal areas and prepared for it. Nobody really thought about the inland areas. I even heard about people who left the city to avoid the storm, went to the Catskills, and were trapped by floodwaters.

Anticipating flooding is one thing but how can anyone really prepare for the flooding that took place,
our town is here today, gone tomorrow! :sob::sob:
The widespread devastation is bad enough, what if it was worse? :sob::sob:

got my power back yesterday morning
big branches and trees down but no other damage
watched a tree fall and break the utility pole across the street
it pulled one next to my house down but missed my house by ten feet and my neighbor's truck but about a foot!

How are things looking now?
We're back to a drought....
too little, too much, no in between this year.

things are find around here though still moist and muddy in river flat areas. I don't know about binghamton, and am afraid to drive down that way for not knowing which bridges might not be safe. I may email ken who lives in binghamton on high ground near johnson city (the two merge) to see what's up

Latest posts

Back