I love Vietnam orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right! But we merely grow them outdoor as the natural ways as they are, not indoor like some of you. I am not specialized in biology so would be appreciated to your expertise, experiences to grow them. Tks!

Vinhpicohp- One more key thing I have learned over the years is to accept what type of conditions you have at your growing location.
If you live in the warm low lands of vietnam then trying to grow species from the cooler mountains will not work.
Same thing is if you are in the highlands and have cool nights, trying to grow the warm loving low land species outdoors will not work.
Focus on species that match what conditions you have :)

Vinhpicohp- One more key thing I have learned over the years is to accept what type of conditions you have at your growing location.
If you live in the warm low lands of vietnam then trying to grow species from the cooler mountains will not work.
Same thing is if you are in the highlands and have cool nights, trying to grow the warm loving low land species outdoors will not work.
Focus on species that match what conditions you have :)

Good experiences! Tks!

Appreciated if you may advise paph. hangianium is a cool growing type?

Good experiences! Tks!

Appreciated if you may advise paph. hangianium is a cool growing type?

The book indicates a cool dry rest from Nov-April. Average temperatures 14-16C with some nights going as low as 3 to 5C in coldest months of Jan-Feb.

May-Oct things warm up and average temp 25-28C.

The book indicates a cool dry rest from Nov-April. Average temperatures 14-16C with some nights going as low as 3 to 5C in coldest months of Jan-Feb.

May-Oct things warm up and average temp 25-28C.

Thank you very much!

Paph tranlienianum

Tranlien1.jpg

Can you help me to define the name of each below guy? Thank you!

1. I think "Paphiopedilum malipoense var. hiepii?

Donotknowthename3.jpg

2. I think "Paphiopedilum malipoense var. jackie?

Donotknowthename2.jpg

3. I think "Paphiopedilum nievium var....?

Donotknowthename1.jpg

I can believe it is Orchilla, or an Orchilla hybrid. But I don't know for sure. Someone more familiar with complex Paphs might have a better idea.

Paphiopedilum hangianum

Haihang.jpg

This guy I grow outdoor. I am living in the North of Vietnam with 4seasons in a year. Winter is cold, but temperature goes down 5 degree Cencius in coldest years, but normally 15 degree Cencius. I classify Winter into 03 categories:

- Less cold Winter years: 16-22 degree Cencius. But 16 dg period lasting around one or two weeks only

- Medium cold Winter years: 16-22 degree Cencius. But 16 dg period lasting around one or two months

- Coldest Winter years: 5-22 degree Cencius. But 5 to 10 dg period lasting around one or two months

May you suggest the best ways to grow this guy to ordinarily bloom in all years of less cold and medium cold as in my area? In coldest years, this guy bloom, just less watering in late Auturm and lesser in Winter. In addition, what media is best suitable for this guy?

Thank you for any reccommendations in advance!

Thanks Vinh for your growing cultures. I now have hopes that I can bloom my plant. I have a small seedling and a blooming size seedling. Its growing but it hasn't bloomed yet.

Hi Vinhpicohp,

For the Vietnam species I grow I use the natural habitat information in the book- Slipper Orchids of Vietnam and try to create conditions similar to how each species grows in the wild.

http://www.amazon.com/Slipper-Orchids-Vietnam-Botanic-Monograph/dp/0881925926

Have you heard of this book?

Chào Vinh,

Although not easy to find, the above book is available in tiếng Việt. Trần Tuấn Anh in Hà Nội may be able to find a copy for you. Are you from Hải Phòng?

Mick

Chào Vinh,

Although not easy to find, the above book is available in tiếng Việt. Trần Tuấn Anh in Hà Nội may be able to find a copy for you. Are you from Hải Phòng?

Mick

Yes! I am in Haiphong! Tran tuan Anh??? How much will it cost for the book?

Latest posts

Back