I love Vietnam orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinhpicohp

Reaction score
Dear All Friends,

I love to grow orchids; typically slipper orchids and recently have grown a small collection of various types. Sincerely, I would like you experienced in growing orchids to share and help me to improve my orchids.

Your share of experiences and co-operation is highly appreciated!

Share 01 Paph. mani. grown on my own

Hairapnha1.jpg

Hairapnha6.jpg

Hairapnha2.jpg

Hairapnha4.jpg

What materials of media is best suitable for this mani.?

Share 01 Paphiopedilum coccineum grown on my own;

24-1.jpg

22.jpg

23-1.jpg

231.jpg

According to one of my own friend, there is still a dispute on the legal name of the orchid. Some scientist concluded it "Paphiopedilum barbigerum var. lockianum" while herman argued it "Paphiopedilum coccineum". So what is going on? Can you share the story of the arguement?

Thanks good friend! Some of mine are going very well and going to bloom in next 2 months. I will share, but none can get enough knowledgement to grow all types.

Your share of experiences is highly appreciated

Dear Moderator,

I am jumping into wrong article "Discuss breeding trends, flasking and seedling culture" and can you move my thread to Paphiopedilum?

Vinh,
We call the first two plants you posted, Paph malipoense. From the little I can see so far of your culture, you're well on your way to being a great Vietnam orchid grower!

:clap::clap: Keep those pics coming! Welcome to the forum! Good job!
Dear Moderator,

I am jumping into wrong article "Discuss breeding trends, flasking and seedling culture" and can you move my thread to Paphiopedilum?
Done!

Paphiopedilum hangianum

Haihang.jpg

This guy I grow outdoor. I am living in the North of Vietnam with 4seasons in a year. Winter is cold, but temperature goes down 5 degree Cencius in coldest years, but normally 15 degree Cencius. I classify Winter into 03 categories:

- Less cold Winter years: 16-22 degree Cencius. But 16 dg period lasting around one or two weeks only

- Medium cold Winter years: 16-22 degree Cencius. But 16 dg period lasting around one or two months

- Coldest Winter years: 5-22 degree Cencius. But 5 to 10 dg period lasting around one or two months

May you suggest the best ways to grow this guy to ordinarily bloom in all years of less cold and medium cold as in my area? In coldest years, this guy bloom, just less watering in late Auturm and lesser in Winter. In addition, what media is best suitable for this guy?

Thank you for any reccommendations in advance!

If you are not familiar with this website, it's a great one for information about how to care for Paphs, based on their own environment:
http://slipperorchids.info

Thank you SlipperFan! Before growing this guy, I did refer to the information on the website, which you guided.

From my observation and experiences, there is still an inquiry "why this guy blooms in Medium and Coldest years only, not in less cold year as per previous description?"

Thanks again!

Vietnam has so many incredible Paphiopedilum species.... really like your callosum!
You are right! But we merely grow them outdoor as the natural ways as they are, not indoor like some of you. I am not specialized in biology so would be appreciated to your expertise, experiences to grow them. Tks!

You are right! But we merely grow them outdoor as the natural ways as they are, not indoor like some of you. I am not specialized in biology so would be appreciated to your expertise, experiences to grow them. Tks!

Hi Vinhpicohp,

For the Vietnam species I grow I use the natural habitat information in the book- Slipper Orchids of Vietnam and try to create conditions similar to how each species grows in the wild.

http://www.amazon.com/Slipper-Orchids-Vietnam-Botanic-Monograph/dp/0881925926

Have you heard of this book?

Latest posts

Back