Hi! Deepening a lifetime obsession.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

Reaction score
Many thanks to Ray for helping me get past the effective (and slightly overzealous) spam-blasting program. I'm excited to be here! A little about me:
I got into orchids at 10 years old (like, really obsessed), and after a brief lull started rescuing family members' plants as a teen. Mostly NOID phals, they thrived on my marginal care and I started to feel like an orchid whisperer, so I got into other types of orchids and became humble (and obsessed) again.
I had to greatly reduce my collection last year, as my family (toddler, pets, and plants included) is living in a 32 foot travel trailer and traveling all over the USA for my husband's job. I have given up several dear old friends- giant NOID phals I'd had since I was 15. I have tried to branch into more compact plants in the last year, and I also have finally (finally!) taken the leap into slipper orchids. Slippers, especially phrags, are my main love for whatever reason. I have wanted a phrag ever since I saw my first salmony-pink long petaled bessae-influenced hybrid. (Like, these things are real?!) I have two phrags now, an Acker's Fu Manchu and a Coral Jewel. I also have one paph, a recently acquired delenatii alba. I don'thave room for much else, so as I eagerly await blooms I am trying to perfect my culture for all my orchids in the meantime (3 noid phals and a noid oncidium besides the slippers). This can be a challenge due to frequent moves that affect the climate we are living in, but I am learning all I can and haven't killed one yet!

Hello Morja and a warm welcome to ST from Germany. In my eyes it's quite a challenge to live year in year out in a trailer with your family. Great you didn't lose sight on your orchids. Good luck.

Welcome from NYC..Most Phrags are not compact. Good luck.
I know, they're huge! 😭😂 My Coral Jewel is pretty compact, however, for a phragmipedium.
Someday we'll settle down and I'll just build a greenhouse for all my orchid needs!

Welcome welcome welcome!!!
If I was going to “deepen my obsession”, I would go broke!
😜😁🥰

I blow all my extra cash on orchids. If I did not, I would be at the poker tables!!
That would be a BAD idea.

Welcome!

Am I to understand that you move in the trailer home with those orchids? Like every couple months?
I do indeed! We ended up being near home for multiple assignments for the first year, but now we are across the country in a different climate. So I am just now having to figure out how to handle the change with my plants.

I do indeed! We ended up being near home for multiple assignments for the first year, but now we are across the country in a different climate. So I am just now having to figure out how to handle the change with my plants.
Ahhhh tough orchid life lol.

You grow them by windowsill and summer outside?

Ahhhh tough orchid life lol.

You grow them by windowsill and summer outside?
Windowsill only with some barely adequate supplemental light. My summers were too cool in the areas of the PNW where I was previously. And now that I find myself in a very hot humid area I'm not sure I want to brave the outdoor bugs! My collection has always been really clean, haha.

Latest posts

Back