How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we got three inches of snow...and sub freezing temps, snow not melting. Wind gusts...feels like a typical winter day in chicago. Luckily we have a fleet of de-icers so the entire city doesnt shut down...but because of our unique topography, many cant come to work today..too many hills

Last edited:
Seattle is expecting another snow storm on fri/sat and then more snow on mon/teus...not since snowmaggedon in 2008 have we been hit like this. It's difficult here because of all the hills..snow melts in daytime and then refreezes at night..some people have not been to work all week..all this after having a very warm winter.

Highly Unusual for Seattle

33156313998_a8329999d0_b.jpg

Yes, that is typical for climate warming

let me explain it to you how it works because I know you need your hand held ...you post about the weather you are experiencing first hand , not the weather in areas that you are not holding a physical presence. We dont need your stupid comments on climate change. Just look outside your window and share with us the weather you see...it's actually that simple

We totaled about six inches , four inches over night...melting now but supposed to freeze to 14 F tonight

The snow on top of greenhouse is sliding off like a glacier..pretty cool to watch. Nope, the orchids are not in there yet. Waiting until mid april when I dont have to worry about heating and when I sell off most of my paph seedlings. The structure on the left with the chairs around it is my telescope mount..it stays there so I dont have to polar align each time I want to use it

32100101477_c5d6bbc54a_b.jpg

32100101067_dd3b8aafb3_b.jpg

33166616918_c5a524081f_b.jpg

Winter is over here as far as I can tell. There is a remote possibility we will have freezing temperatures in March or even early April, but I'd wager very unlikely. Breezy, cool to warm temps, on and off rainy and sunny days from here on out - spring plants are increasingly starting up in earnest. The main wave of cherry blossoms is currently forecast to come around March 18th in Fukuoka City. I can believe it since Prunus campanulata, the "Taiwan cherry", is already starting to flower in the heat island areas of Fukuoka City and I saw trees on a local mountain at around 300 meters elevation almost breaking bud two days ago. Spring will be early this year in much of Japan.

Now a polar vortex will form over us this week and it will all get zapped!:(

1E2594D8-3F5C-41EA-A379-54CE79D89481.jpeg 4773935F-3713-4A6B-A628-F33C75A802A5.jpeg We’ve had a brutal winter for snow and extreme cold. I’ve missed several days of work because of road closures from the snow. Days off are nice except when you’re self employed. No work = no money. Here are a couple photos. We had a blizzard last week....had to struggle to get out of the house after as the wind had pasted big snow drifts against the doors. NOT. Fun! I’m glad spring is close.

Not that I wish for but we haven't seen big snow storms here for almost 10 years now. Anything over 10 inches is a big deal here...
A photo of my backyard after a snow storm(many years ago):
DSCN0863-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Snow + more snow= no fun!! I've had to tunnel out of my residence in tahoe out a bathroom window, putting snow in the bathtub, I feel your frustration!! Alot alot of rain here in nor cal!! It's been a trend since 2015 more rain in the winters, I think the northern jetstream is dropping south...

Latest posts

Back