How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!! Wendy, awesome!!! Old school hospitality. Very good karma going your way, terrible about the weather :( hope it warms up soon for you guys!!

Harvey storm in Texas is a huge disaster! Are there any of our members who are in that area? It's been parked for two days, and today's weather modeling shows it to still be in Texas even next Friday! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently live in Dallas, but I grew up in Houston and have spent most of my life there.

Two things,

1. The dramatic pictures you are seeing in the news this weekend- notably the one of 610 flooded up to the freeway overhead signs, and Memorial Park along Allen and Memorial Parkways are nothing new or unusual. That piece of freeway is set about 30 feet below ground level, and the park is also very low-lying along the bayou in that area. You can get photos like that every few years for one reason or another- even just after a hard day's rain.

2. The real danger is that Houston is currently at that state, and unlike what we saw with Alicia or Allison- the rain is not over. This has the potential to get much worse, and quite frankly we will not know how much worse with regards to central Houston for another 48 hours.

I have tons of friends and family down there and am getting regular updates. River Oaks, Memorial and West U/Medical Center are generally okay in terms of homes not flooding- but a few spots in Memorial have flooded homes- which is highly unusual- and last I heard one major hospital in the Medical Center is evacuating patients which is also highly unusual.

North of town, as of tonight a few friends report water within a couple of feet of the front door on their lawns. So that is very touch and go.

South it is a mixed bag- many are just fine, but a few others are close to flooding.

East- as has always been the case since it is a lower lying area is in bad shape. Extensive flooding.

Latest word is that the storm is headed back to sea and will hit Houston again in a couple of days- a more direct hit. As is usually the case, winds are not much a concern as flooding.

Also, the "dirty side" of the storm is to the east- ie the side that will dump the most rain. And so a direct hit will take less of a toll on the West side of town, but East of Houston would be even worse than now potentially.

Let us see what happens- but for the moment I would say Houston is currently about what one would expect immediately AFTER a major hurricane hit, yet with rains continuing tonight and a chance of another hit in a couple of days which gives the streets time to drain, but is not enough time for the bayou and its various tributaries to get back to normal levels.

I fear we are not done yet :(

The Puget Sound area is surrounded by forest fires...we actually had ash fall on the city today. Sky is filled with smoke..in fact, our entire state (Wa) along with Oregon, BC, Montana, Idaho is having one big barbecue

Preparing for a little bit of wind and rain that's supposed to be coming around Friday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

WET! At least at work all the plants and everything else is sopping wet and more is to come. Just 40+ miles east where I live we haven’t had much rain, though enough to wet the soil a little ways. Just further east and south again they have had more rain

No rain for months, and a heatwave has hit us. Temps around 30-35 degrees C. My paphs seem to do fine though. Found buds in five of them in the last few days. charlesworthii, henryanum, Pinocchio, Maudiae and Rosy Dawn. Hope for more :D

HAze, Haze and more Haze...smoke from fires burning in Oregon , Washington and BC settling over Seattle...visibility 2 miles...lived in this area for 25 years...before three years ago it was rare to get significant smoke , now at least a third of the summer is smoky

I never had such a warm to hot July before but my parents and grandparents had a lot of that.
I feel its cooling down but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Lots of quick snow and now rain. Before that; rain, and before that, rain. Periods of sun and occasional dips to cold but otherwise mild.

Heard the other night that local south jersey farmers were getting stuck in their fields. Today on very slow way home from work through deep slop I looked at all the fields between the Del-mem bridge and Elmer and there are very many acres of soybeans still needing to be harvested.

Besides needing fields to be dry enough for equipment, the beans need to have moisture % low enough so they dont degrade in transport and storage. I dont know if Ive ever seen soybean fields covered with snow!

Latest posts

Back