Helenae for 2013

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Last year was 1 bloom, but this year is 3. It's still carrying the seed capsule from last years breeding too.

I didn't get a bloom on this second plant last year, but getting a spike this year, and showing a big fat root.

strong looking plants congrats.
Mine has 5 growth now and not a flower so I still have hope.
Bought one in an acution today was surprised that I get it for nearly nothing, so I hope this one will bloom for me.

That's wonderful Rick. I have one in bud and I'm so excited and trying to
be so careful. The plant is so tiny that it looks extremely fragile. I hope it's
a lovely as your bloom. I hope you'll post a side-by-side photo when the
second one blooms. Please.

Nice helenae. Love the small stature and cute blossom of this species. One of my favourites.

Really a fine example of your basket culture Rick. Now the moss growing on the top, is that some of your local moss that you have establish onto the basket?

very nice. are you growing it in pure moss?? I grow mine in bark mix and it just sit there for years.

No the basket is moss lined, but the middle is mostly coarse limestone gravel from my driveway (and a dash of sand).

Rick H

The live moss on top was pillaged from the base of one of the trees in my backyard, and it has done well too.

Although I pictured the root coming out of the basket on the smaller plant, the bigger plant also has roots poking out in 3 or 4 spots.

Nice. Hmmmm, I need to check mine out and see if they need to go into baskets.

I think you should Eric. I don't know how often you repot, but some of these guys have been in baskets for 2+ years now with very little maintenance.

They do go through a fair amount of water though, but some of the baskets are sitting in tubs/totes to catch the drips and keep higher humidity around the basket (for less watering).

The bigger helenae is actually hanging up next to a bunch of mounted phals and hanging basket henryanums.

Oh, very beautiful. You obtain the positive results of your efforts made to change the Paphio's culture technique. Seems you are on the right way.
In October during the monthly meeting of my club, I am going to make a presentation (*.ppt) on the Paphios culture . Can I use your photographs?

Back