Paphiopedilum helenae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
Plant originally from Paph Paradise, it sat around for a couple years in my grow space not really growing, but not really dying either. Then sometime last year it decided to just go for it, and it's been putting out multiple growths a year. It bloomed last year for me for the first time (link to that blooming is HERE), and it's blooming again a little over a year later. Better color on this flowering, I think because the bud developed during the cool beginning of winter, and not during the height of summer, but the form is a little wonky. Oh well, it's still cute and brightens up my day!
Helenae best.JPGHelenae bright.JPGHelenae.JPG

Here it is as it was first opening, better form and really intense coloring:
Helenae opening.JPG

Thank you for showing the photo of how the white edge developed. Mine showed a small white edge but another time showed almost none. It is in Buds now and I am hoping it will show a bit more of the white edge on the dorsal.
Nice photos too.

Thank you for showing the photo of how the white edge developed. Mine showed a small white edge but another time showed almost none. It is in Buds now and I am hoping it will show a bit more of the white edge on the dorsal.
Nice photos too.
Interesting, any thoughts on the source of the variability? Mine has bloomed both in summer and early winter with the white edge, so at least in my conditions temperature doesn’t really seem to influence whether it is there or not.

Interesting, any thoughts on the source of the variability? Mine has bloomed both in summer and early winter with the white edge, so at least in my conditions temperature doesn’t really seem to influence whether it is there or not.
I can't answer your question...but I have great hope to see more white edge this time(just by looking at the bud)...let's wait and I will give you an update on mine soon.

This gives me hope for my very own slow-growing helenae from Paph Paradise!
I think many of Dave’s helenae either come from tetraploid breeding lines, or were treated to try to induce tetraploid conversion, so perhaps it’s a sign that the process worked!

I can't answer your question...but I have great hope to see more white edge this time(just by looking at the bud)...let's wait and I will give you an update on mine soon.
@NEsliper--The flower just opened and it has a very nice white edge this time. I'll take a photo of it by midweek and start a new thread!
It is interesting to see how the flower can vary from year to year(1st bloom had a very thin white margin on the dorsal but a horrible color, the second bloom had a nice color but no white margin, and this time it has all.)
Why? I have no idea. I swear to god I am not making this up!
Culture-wise, I have done nothing different but I did repot the plant in August this year, which was much needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back