How would you rate this Paph. rothschildianum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo Boricua

Reaction score
I brought this plant last year in perfect state. As soon as it got into my garden the leaves started to rot. Most of the leaves died, only stubs remained. But the roots were in perfect condition and it has produced a new growth that is healthy but smaller than the previous fan of leaves. I don't know were this plant came from it was an impulse buy at an orchid show. Is it good?

IMG_0278.JPG

Any blooming roth is a good roth! It’s always worth having some reliable, willing-to-bloom plants around even if they aren’t top award quality, in my opinion! The plant still looks in rough shape, so best of luck in getting it back on track. I’ve found some of my roths to be really slow to recover once they’ve had a setback, especially if they were small 1-2 growth plants. Keep us updated!

It has potential, let me say that. I agree with NEslipper, any Roth is a good Roth. Not all need to be award winners!
Just look at the image you provided. Dorsal skews off to the left, the dorsal margin is a bit uneven or wavy. Synsepal is wavy too. They could be flatter.
Petal stance is pleasing. I can’t tell from the image but with today’s Roth’s, as a judge, I am looking for better petal width. I am looking for petals 1.3, 1.4 cm. wide at the point of attachment. ( off hand I can’t say how wide petals have been in recents awards) I think that we may have progressed beyond petals 0.9 or 1.0 cm. wide. I refer to those few points first when I look at a Roth these days.
Lastly I take a quick look at the pouch. I prefer good, even color saturation. Yours seems to have good color and saturation.
Just one judges opinion.

Last edited:
It has potential, let me say that. I agree with NEslipper, any Roth is a good Roth. Not all need to be award winners!
Just look at the image you provided. Dorsal skews off to the left, the dorsal margin is a bit uneven or wavy. Synsepal is wavy too. They could be flatter.
Petal stance is pleasing. I can’t tell from the image but with today’s Roth’s, as a judge, I am looking for better petal width. I am looking for petals 1.3, 1.4 cm. wide at the point of attachment. ( off hand I can’t say how wide petals have been in recents awards) I think that we may have progressed beyond petals 0.9 or 1.0 cm. wide. I refer to those few points first when I look at a Roth these days.
Lastly I take a quick look at the pouch. I prefer good, even color saturation. Yours seems to have good color and saturation.
Just one judges opinion.
Personally, I will be extremely happy if it blooms at all, everything else will be the frosting on the cake. Thanks for you detailed answer.

It’s blooming despite (or because of) extreme stress. Something has caused that stress; can you figure out what it is? Meanwhile, I have to recommend First Rays potions: the KelPak, the probiotic. They might get it galloping.

As always, photos showing only the flower and not the whole plant, nor how you’re growing it, are frustrating. There’s room here to post ten photos in each post and everybody should do that, every time.

It’s blooming despite (or because of) extreme stress. Something has caused that stress; can you figure out what it is? Meanwhile, I have to recommend First Rays potions: the KelPak, the probiotic. They might get it galloping.

As always, photos showing only the flower and not the whole plant, nor how you’re growing it, are frustrating. There’s room here to post ten photos in each post and everybody should do that, every time.
Perhaps if you had read my post, you would have noticed, I had just brought it, The plant was in a wretched state as you can see in the photo, because it got rot when newly purchased. Finally, the question is not about culture, the plant is recuperating nicely, its about the quality of the flower. There is a section in this forum specific for cultural advice, I am sure you can find plenty of whole plant photos there.

Perhaps if you had read my post, you would have noticed, I had just brought it, The plant was in a wretched state as you can see in the photo, because it got rot when newly purchased. Finally, the question is not about culture, the plant is recuperating nicely, its about the quality of the flower. There is a section in this forum specific for cultural advice, I am sure you can find plenty of whole plant photos there.

Trying to judge flower quality on a near dead plant is pointless, it is not going to perform anywhere near its potential in such a state and likely won't live to bloom again anyway.

Trying to judge flower quality on a near dead plant is pointless, it is not going to perform anywhere near its potential in such a state and likely won't live to bloom again anyway.
Perhaps you didn't read that is recuperating nicely. And it was quite healthy when I got it. It was a sudden rot. There are some pretty good comments in tis tread, well wort reading.

Back