Garlic snails

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
How do I totally and utterly and completely exterminate them? (in a reasonably safe way)
I'm talking about the tiny minature ones that come out after a good soaking. Some smell of garlic and some don't. They love root tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike.

I water at dusk then go on the hunt around 9 to stab them with a skewer and then smash them with my big foot.... In the morning I spray all plants with chili oil diluted with warm water and throw out sluggo or iron phosphate. Ive tried everything under the sun.... This is what works for me.

Mesurol (spelling is probably wrong) does the job in one
application, but there are risks. I lost several species Phals. after spraying with it, but the damn snails were
killing the plants anyway. I used it on bush snails. Orthene 97% seems to have a pretty good first knock down effect.

Have you tried to put potato slices in the pots. Snails like to eat them and you can collect a lot of snails that way.

1) There have been scientific studies that showed that nicotine (oops. I meant caffeine) really didn't work.

2) I collected coffee pot dregs, added about 5% by volume isopropanol to keep molds at bay, and poured it over the affected plants, and all sign of them vanished.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips! I will give caffeine a try. Would it be better to make up a large batch and dunk or is spraying enough? Does it kill eggs? Also has anyone tried pyrethrum?

I always find my coffee grounds, either in the compost or mulch, covered by slime trails. I love iron phosphate granules (Sluggo, Escar-Go, etc) but they seem to only work on slugs, not snails. Apparently snails aren't attracted to the bait.

Absolutely use every precaution when using Mesurol. I had
on what appeared to be a HazMat suit and filtering mask and put a skull and cross-bones on my gh door for a couple of days. However, it killed the bush snails and destroyed the eggs and I've not any snail/slug problems
ever again.

...or get some nasty disease.

Monogamy has serious benefits (yesterday was out 37th anniversary).

Not bad for having met on a blind date (we lived 400 miles apart) 40 years ago this fall.

...or get some nasty disease.

Monogamy has serious benefits (yesterday was out 37th anniversary).

Not bad for having met on a blind date (we lived 400 miles apart) 40 years ago this fall.

You can get rid of most of them with a shot or pill.Hell you can live with Aids now.

Ray, congratulations on your long and happy marriage. Sounds like you're quite blessed. :clap:

Congratulations Ray! And jtrmd....you can't live with AIDS. You die with AIDS. You can live with HIV. But it is not much fun taking all those meds....and there is no guarantee that they will be effective for a lifetime. My son had an HIV scare a year ago in the ER, when a glove tore while he was undressing an HIV+ stabbing victim. My son had a cut on his hand. For 3 weeks he had to take 3 of the HIV meds, prophylactically, and he felt miserable on them.

Latest posts

Back